Horsefield shell

shoegalnic

Location (City and/or State)
Billingham
Hi there,
My little Indy is 7 months old I’ve had him for 6 weeks he’s got quite a defined line front to back and I was just wondering if this was normal growth? I’ve checked his heat and humidity and according to the beginners advice on here that’s all okay and he’s quite active. He had access to water and I’ve been alternating nutrubal and calcium dust as recommended by my local reptile shop. Would appreciate your advice thanks Nicky

Attachments

• 22407872-FEA1-4CD0-853B-F634511390DB.jpeg
    22407872-FEA1-4CD0-853B-F634511390DB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi, he looks fine to me. I may be mistaken but isn’t nutrubal for insect eating animal like birds and some reptiles?

shoegalnic

Billingham
Hi, he looks fine to me. I may be mistaken but isn’t nutrubal for insect eating animal like birds and some reptiles?
Oh good Thankyou for that with not really knowing what to expect I was a little concerned. The nutrobal does say it’s for snakes lizards and tortoises

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! Looks like he’s just growing to me; nice smooth growth on a handsome tortoise.
You might be overdoing it a bit on the calcium and minerals if he’s getting a good diet; how often are you dusting his food?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
You only need a tiny amount of calcium twice a week, just a small little pinch.
I also use nutrobal maybe once a week instead of the calcium.

shoegalnic

Billingham
Welcome! Looks like he’s just growing to me; nice smooth growth on a handsome tortoise.
You might be overdoing it a bit on the calcium and minerals if he’s getting a good diet; how often are you dusting his food?
Hi I’ve been alternating between the calcium dust and nutrobal as as that’s what my local reptile shop recommended. Is that too much?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it’s too much. Two to three times a week for a growing tortoise is fine. Just a tiny pinch; like fairy dust!

Lots of pet stores recommend overdusting, don’t worry, you aren’t the first to overdo a bit. :)

shoegalnic

Billingham
Yes, it’s too much. Two to three times a week for a growing tortoise is fine. Just a tiny pinch; like fairy dust!

Lots of pet stores recommend overdusting, don’t worry, you aren’t the first to overdo a bit. :)
Thankyou appreciate the advice I’ll cut back