Horsefield tortoise eating less

Status
Not open for further replies.

phynbarr

5 Year Member
I have had a 6 year old male Horsefield for about 9 months now.

He's been find and I feed him a mixture of tortoise food and green dtuff (from Tortoise Lady Plant list)

In the last couple of weeks (since the times went back I guess) he's been eating only alternate days despite having lights on a 12 hour clock.

Should I be concerned and, if so, what;s the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
RE: Horsefield tortoise easting less

He's fine; just being "normal". Just stick to your normal routine.

phynbarr

5 Year Member
If he _is_ preparing for hibernation (despite my best efforts) is there a good reference to find out how best to treat him?

thanks

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
The b st thing you can do is make sure your uv bulbs are still good ( they can diminish in about 6 months) and don't change anything about his schedule. A bit of a slower pace in winter is fine. Just keep the temps and lighting correct and he will be fine.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
kanalomele said:
The b st thing you can do is make sure your uv bulbs are still good ( they can diminish in about 6 months) and don't change anything about his schedule. A bit of a slower pace in winter is fine. Just keep the temps and lighting correct and he will be fine.

Excellent advice. Make sure bulbs are not dated, your lights are on 12-14 hours per day, temps are good. Then if the tort functions normally otherwise, and looks fine, let him be.

Status
Not open for further replies.