Horsefield Tortoise

Slyvia West

I have a horsefield tortoise 4yrs old, and have tried it with spinage kale etc and has only eaten a small amount of pear,tomato,first thing in the morning, and I pout him in the garden during the day but all he wants to do is find som
ewhere to sleep, can anyone give me some advice , he has an indoor table with heater and light also

sylvia,

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Stop feeding him fruit entirely. Increase the variety of weeds & broad leaved plants in his diet. Check out the care sheet and see if there are places you can improve his environment.

Can you post a picture of his habitat & light?

They love fruit but can't digest it. Feeding him "candy" also allows him to be a picky eater. They enjoy variety & rotation of foods.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
(Tomato is fruit, not veg)

Young tortoises hide a lot because they are prey and they know it. Go to the top of the Russian section and read the two care sheets we have pinned there. They will give you a better idea of what to be feeding your Russian tortoise.

Slyvia West

The thing is I have only had him just over a week, have bought kale, spinach etc tried to give him dandelion leaves and he will not eat it, I have sectioned off some of my garden which I put him in if the weather is good and bought a small hideaway for in the garden, I was given a indoor wooden and glass indoor home for him which is about the size of a coffee table with a heater and light,but I think he could do with one a bit bigger, ,but he is in the garden most of the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California