Horsefield tortoise

Penno78

Location (City and/or State)
St. Helens
Hi I'm new to the forum and would like advice we bought an horsefield tortoise and by the way it was i have since found out it wasn't being looked after proper it was on an heat mat and no lighting now I know is incorrect we have since bought a proper viv for him he is approx 5mth old and won't eat or drink his eyes were shut we got advised to bath him and gently wipe his eyes with a cotton bud starting to open now any advice please thanks ron

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please post pics of the enclosure and lighting/heat.
If you are using any of the Coil type bulbs they cause eye damage so stop using them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ron, and welcome to the Forum!

I would like to offer some constructive advice: Please add a period at the end of your sentences. It's very hard for us to read what you're trying to tell us when the typing never stops at the end of a sentence.

Normally when a baby tortoise's eyes are swollen shut it means he hasn't been eating. Temporarily, set this baby up in a smaller hospital tank. . . a 10 gallon aquarium would work nicely. Fix the light to be on for 12 hours a day, and have heat at night in order to keep the aquarium's interior at 85F degrees day and night. This is just temporary, until he gets well. Soak him every day in warm water for about a half hour. You can soak him in a small enough bowl so that it fits in the aquarium and you can put it back in there during the soak to keep it warm. Be sure to give him a hiding place, a place where he can get away from the bright light.

Penno78

St. Helens
Hi Ron, and welcome to the Forum!

I would like to offer some constructive advice: Please add a period at the end of your sentences. It's very hard for us to read what you're trying to tell us when the typing never stops at the end of a sentence.

Normally when a baby tortoise's eyes are swollen shut it means he hasn't been eating. Temporarily, set this baby up in a smaller hospital tank. . . a 10 gallon aquarium would work nicely. Fix the light to be on for 12 hours a day, and have heat at night in order to keep the aquarium's interior at 85F degrees day and night. This is just temporary, until he gets well. Soak him every day in warm water for about a half hour. You can soak him in a small enough bowl so that it fits in the aquarium and you can put it back in there during the soak to keep it warm. Be sure to give him a hiding place, a place where he can get away from the bright light.

Penno78

St. Helens
Thank you so much, its basically what we are doing and what we have been told, the hospital tank is a good idea and we will try it, his eyes are starting to open with bathing and moving more, let's hope he starts eating soon, thanks again Ron.