Horsefield's Shell Smells Odd

Charsuibun

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone,

I was soaking my horsefield earlier today and noticed her shell smells odd. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it was definitely the shell that smelled. It wasn't super strong - I had to be right up to her to smell it, and maybe it's normal (I don't make a habit of sniffing my tortoise so I wouldn't know) but I've never noticed anything like it before.

I only recently deep cleaned her table, and I do spot checks daily, so the substrate didn't have a smell to it (other than smelling of coco coir).

Most searches suggest shell rot, but I can't see anything to indicate this is what she has - also her substrate is drying out really quickly now it's summer so I don't see that being plausible.

Has anyone else encountered this before, or have any ideas what it might be? I'm taking her to the vets next week to be on the safe side, but I know I'm just going to worry about it in the meantime.

here's some images for reference imgur.com/a/rODA8pd

Thanks in advance!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone,

I was soaking my horsefield earlier today and noticed her shell smells odd. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it was definitely the shell that smelled. It wasn't super strong - I had to be right up to her to smell it, and maybe it's normal (I don't make a habit of sniffing my tortoise so I wouldn't know) but I've never noticed anything like it before.

I only recently deep cleaned her table, and I do spot checks daily, so the substrate didn't have a smell to it (other than smelling of coco coir).

Most searches suggest shell rot, but I can't see anything to indicate this is what she has - also her substrate is drying out really quickly now it's summer so I don't see that being plausible.

Has anyone else encountered this before, or have any ideas what it might be? I'm taking her to the vets next week to be on the safe side, but I know I'm just going to worry about it in the meantime.

here's some images for reference imgur.com/a/rODA8pd

Thanks in advance!

Describe the smell...yes, a dry tortoise shell can have an odor once wet with water....mystery for certain....smells ...fun to figure out...

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
From those pictures that shell looks pretty good.

Did the tortoise poop or pass urates (the white stuff) in the soak. When mine does that, I always have to soak it in a new clean bath because otherwise it smells kinda like burning arm hair/ chemicals, which I’m pretty sure comes from the uric acid content (byproduct of protein). Is that kinda like the smell it is?

Charsuibun

UK
Describe the smell...yes, a dry tortoise shell can have an odor once wet with water....mystery for certain....smells ...fun to figure out...

I don't really know how to describe it, but you're right, checked her this morning and no smell.

Must just be a weird tortoise thing! Thanks for the response.

Charsuibun

UK
From those pictures that shell looks pretty good.

Did the tortoise poop or pass urates (the white stuff) in the soak. When mine does that, I always have to soak it in a new clean bath because otherwise it smells kinda like burning arm hair/ chemicals, which I’m pretty sure comes from the uric acid content (byproduct of protein). Is that kinda like the smell it is?

No urates or poop which is why I found it so strange. She seems to be back to her usual odorless self today, so I think I was just overreacting.