Hot water tanks?

WildeAxel

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford BC
So, I know that tortoises absorb everything through their shells and toxins and such are not advisable for a tortoise to come into contact with. My partner is a plumber and has expressed concern about our hot water tank and Axls daily baths and substrate soakings. Hot water tanks tend to be very dirty and contain a lot of contaminants if not drained and flushed regularly. We have not done that in this house, as our landlord is interesting but this hot water tank is on the older side and I would assume, not drained- ever.

My question is, do any of you boil the water you are going to use for daily baths (letting it cool of course to the appropriate temperature), are you concerned about this, is this a common thing to wonder? Do you buy "clean" water and warm that?

Or is he and I over thinking it?

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee
Do you drink it and use it to cook with? Because if you think it's okay for you, most people are going to tell you then it's okay for the tortoise.

I on the other hand am over protective. I use only filtered water(not from my tap) for my animals and for cooking and drinking.. Including my tortoise's bath.

So do what makes you feel comfortable.
-Meg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never been concerned about this. I've been using the hot water out of the water heater since my first turtle in 1979. If it does any harm, I haven't noticed it.

And tortoises don't absorb anything through their shells. Its like having fingernails over bone. Fingernails don't absorb much.

L

LasTortugasNinja

In several decades of owning reptiles, I've never used anything other than regular tap water for them, unless I'm in a hurry and have a bottled water in my hand and they need a quick top-off.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
I've never been concerned about this. I've been using the hot water out of the water heater since my first turtle in 1979. If it does any harm, I haven't noticed it.

And tortoises don't absorb anything through their shells. Its like having fingernails over bone. Fingernails don't absorb much.

Just water is absorbed through the shell and skin then.

Comforting to know!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just water is absorbed through the shell and skin then.

Comforting to know!
Water isn't absorbed through the shell either. The thin keratin layer can absorb some water, like your fingernails in a humid climate vs a dry climate, but no water is being absorbed into the tortoise through the shell or skin. Water gets in only through the mouth and possibly through the cloaca.