Tap water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmoney

5 Year Member
This is more so out of curiosity than anything as our house goes through multiple stages of filtration before it comes out of the tap. But should tap water be treated before it's offered in their dish or during a soak? I know people typically treat their water turtle tanks; so why not tortoises?

I know this is partially subject to where you live. I've lived in places where the tap tasted like bottled water, and I've lived where the uranium levels were liken to Chernobyl lol.

Along with the plethora of other unneeded products I bought when I got my tort was the reptisafe water conditioner. Is this a worthwhile product for owners with suspect water?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
If your water is receiving filtration prior to coming out of the tap, I'd bet you're all set. I live in a city, as such they lightly chlorinate the water, so I use a Brita Filter to remove the chlorates. I speculate the chlorates may slightly diminish beneficial microbes in their digestive system (though we seem to be okay with it) and it could be an eye irritant when I mist them.

If you don't have chlorates, I'd say don't worry about filtration.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I have a pitcher that I use specifically for reptile water bowls, so I don't have to bring any herp-stuff to our sinks. Although I probably don't have to, I use this exo-terra reptile dechlorinator, only because someone gave a bunch of it to me free.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
For my box turtles we use water that has sat out over night but the tortoises get the water straight from the tap. As of yet, I have not had any issues...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Back in the stone age :D I use to worry about the water I used. Then one day it dawned on me, that when the turtles and tortoises were outside, they got their water and their pools filled with water straight from the faucet and had no apparent health problems. IF I lived some where that I knew the water was not safe for humans, then I would look into other alternatives.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I just let my tap water sit over night. The chemicals dissipate. I've done this for many years. I don't know if it's really necessary, it's just the way I've always done it.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I have a filter on the sink and I use reptisafe drops, probably no need but just to be safe, I even use the drops in the water I mist the substrate with, I think I'm just very over protective of my hatchling because I've read how the slightest imperfection can harm them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using straight tap water for chelonians since 1979 here in Southern CA. If your tap water is okay, then I don't think you need to treat it. If your tap water is bad, I don't think an off the shelf product is going to help much.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i use aged water here in fl, my tap seems to have higher concentrations of chlorines than when i lived in tx. tx was almost pure from both the city tap & well, so i did not age it then. At work, the animals get reconstituted (RO-reverse osmosis fortified with minerals), well water, or aged water. We age our water with a circulator pump for 3 days before using in about 50gal containers... at home i age it 24-48 hours with no circulation (unless i am doing a new tank set up then it is a different story)

Status
Not open for further replies.