misting water

What type of water do you use to mist your tort's tank?

• tap water

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Purified water

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • spring water

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • distilled water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oceanside, Ca
I don't like to use tap water for misting my tank because of all the junk in it... I live in the very Southern part of California and our water is not so good. So, I buy the gallon jugs and use that. But there is a lot of different types; spring water, drinking water, purified water, etc. I currently use distilled water, it was recommended to me by my local reptile specialty store. They told me it was good to mist the tank w/ it because its safe for the tort and it doesn't leave water-marks on the glass. Is this what you guys use?

Thank you for your time and input! :]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The distilled water is fine for misting, but don't use it for drinking. The distillation process can sometimes add heavy metals to the water. Just use tap or bottled water for drinking or soaking. I use tap for everything and have had no problems with it in 20 years. I use it on my hatchlings the day they come out of the egg. I drink it too.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tap works for us. If my family can drink it so can my torts. They love it best straight from the hose!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Tap is the best way to go IMO. Maybe if you have a Brita you could filter your own misting water if you're worried?

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca
Ok, thanks! Good to know about the heavy metals in the distilled stuff... up to this point I had been filling his wading pool w/ it. Needless to say, that is getting cleaned out today! I think I am going to probably stick w/ the bottled drinking water, we used that for ourselves all the time b/c the water here tastes bad (to us, anyway... we're from Wa). Thanks again for all the great advice!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A lot of tap waters contain calcium and other minerals that are actually pretty good for tortoises, and they are used to the waters in the wild- usually muddy, full of lots of odd things, etc.

I use tap water for misting, plants, etc. I've thought about a 'cleaner' water to reduce cleaning time, but cleaning only takes a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.