HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Decided to let my torts try it outdoors for the first time. My leopards are about 14 months old. and Star about 12 months. It was 82 degrees out. I used a infrared gun to check the soil. It was 150 degrees in the sun and about 90 in the shade. Is this 150 degree soil to hot for my torts?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They do have the ability to get over into the 90 shade areas right?

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
As long as they have access to shade and you keep them sprayed down they should be fine.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Jacqui said:
They do have the ability to get over into the 90 shade areas right?

Yes, there is also a path that goes about 6 inches deep into a house where it is in the 70`s

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
They thermal regulate, as long as they can get into shade/cool areas they should be fine. Ours spend most mornings and evenings out browsing and hidden in the bushes during the "Hot" part of the day.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
ticothetort2 said:
As long as they have access to shade and you keep them sprayed down they should be fine.

Unless you have 12 free hours to stand there with a hose, that would be pretty impractical.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ALDABRAMAN said:
They thermal regulate, as long as they can get into shade/cool areas they should be fine. Ours spend most mornings and evenings out browsing and hidden in the bushes during the "Hot" part of the day.

:D What he said. :D

John

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
ticothetort2 said:

Unless you have 12 free hours to stand there with a hose, that would be pretty impractical.

Ha Shelly, what you don't know is that there is a very secretive tribe in Africa called the ubangymistmen they are distant relatives of the guy who turns of the light in your refrigerator, anyway when these ubangy reach man hood they take on a specific tortoise and it is thier life long duty to run around with a spray bottle and mist thier tortoise, they are very dedicated.:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
squamata said:
Shelly said:
ticothetort2 said:

Ha Shelly, what you don't know is that there is a very secretive tribe in Africa called the ubangymistmen they are distant relatives of the guy who turns of the light in your refrigerator, anyway when these ubangy reach man hood they take on a specific tortoise and it is thier life long duty to run around with a spray bottle and mist thier tortoise, they are very dedicated.:D

lol, for all we know about how hatchlings grow up in the wild, this could be true!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I got home from work at 8:45 this morning...and it was 91. It's at least 5 degrees warmer now...and Aladar is eyeing the pool! Gotta go! There's a sully that needs soaking!:p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am going out to spray mine now too.

I am going out to spray mine now too.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
John I think I caught one of those guys using my hose to fill up their spray bottle. Over here we call them Menahune :)

Status
Not open for further replies.