Houdini the Jerk II

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm going to be shipping another leopard to TX in a couple weeks or so. I already have 3 that went there a couple years ago.
I thought you weren't suppose to feed them the day before and on the day they ship, but soak them so they are well hydrated for the trip?
This way they hopefully won't poop in transit and have food sitting in their gut?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm going to be shipping another leopard to TX in a couple weeks or so. I already have 3 that went there a couple years ago.
I thought you weren't suppose to feed them the day before and on the day they ship, but soak them so they are well hydrated for the trip?
This way they hopefully won't poop in transit and have food sitting in their gut?
I didn't feed him today...that's from days ago. He's been soaked daily...still making me a nervous wreck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't feed him today...that's from days ago. He's been soaked daily...still making me a nervous wreck
Second reason I got rid of my females and having babies. The selling and shipping is so much work, dealing with people you don't know and then the nervous shipping. Hate it.
I have this last one and I don't have to ship again.
I'm sure all will be fine.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Me, too & he's not here yet. Ok, keep in mind this is still a work in progress... & the wall is taller than it looks. And we're not done, and we'll be doing a more permanent outdoor enclosure this winter so he can spend the warm season outside 24/7. The entire yard is fenced. Plus, we're working on the indoor enclosure for this fall & winter. It strikes me it looks more like a funeral site but it's certainly not a tailgate party either. For sure, ledges are going on to keep him from climbing over the wall & we're adding rebar to tie the wood down more tomorrow.

Maggie, does Houdini have a propensity to leap or fly? I know he can climb.

Attachments

• 20210824_142610.jpg
    20210824_142610.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20210824_162644.jpg
    20210824_162644.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Me, too & he's not here yet. Ok, keep in mind this is still a work in progress... & the wall is taller than it looks. And we're not done, and we'll be doing a more permanent outdoor enclosure this winter so he can spend the warm season outside 24/7. The entire yard is fenced. Plus, we're working on the indoor enclosure for this fall & winter. It strikes me it looks more like a funeral site but it's certainly not a tailgate party either. For sure, ledges are going on to keep him from climbing over the wall & we're adding rebar to tie the wood down more tomorrow.

he leaps...look...I caught him at it...
100_0307.JPG
he loves water, even if it's just a puddle...or the box turtle pond...he's basking on the fence plank...
100_0298.JPG
and when he's tired of it, he swims to land...
100_0300.JPG100_0300.JPG
what a very photogenic and fun tortoise to take pictures of...I will miss him...wait Mary...let me grab my camera...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

What is the size of the enclosure? It doesn't look very big. I know its temporary but, the way he is, too small of an enclosure may make him really go nuts trying to get out and I think he is already nuts on getting out, just to do it.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
he leaps...look...I caught him at it...
View attachment 331597
he loves water, even if it's just a puddle...or the box turtle pond...he's basking on the fence plank...
View attachment 331598
and when he's tired of it, he swims to land...
View attachment 331599View attachment 331599
what a very photogenic and fun tortoise to take pictures of...I will miss him...wait Mary...let me grab my camera...
Ok. Anything he can leap from is coming towards the center of the pen. What a devil. I think I need more perimeter fence.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
What is the size of the enclosure? It doesn't look very big. I know its temporary but, the way he is, too small of an enclosure may make him really go nuts trying to get out and I think he is already nuts on getting out, just to do it.
The enclosure is 10 x 10. Right now it's 22" tall. The boards are fixed such that there is no ledge on the inside of the pen. The hutch is the tallest thing in there. I will move it inward but I don't think he can climb up on the roof & jump.

Right now, the tallest rock is a piece of petrified wood about six inches. Most of tge other rocks are flat. We're trying a plastic garbage can lid for his water bowl/pool. It has flat rocks in it he can crawl out on

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Get you some seed mixes and throw it around in there. A couple green Taro elephant ear bulbs, some hostas, then let it get all overgrown every year like a jungle. Houdini would will love it.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Get you some seed mixes and throw it around in there. A couple green Taro elephant ear bulbs, some hostas, then let it get all overgrown every year like a jungle. Houdini would will love it.
Hubby wouldn't let me do any pre-planning. I think I identified some dandelions that have not been sprayed & are out of hubby's area where he sprays. I'm overjoyed for Houdini!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure is 10 x 10. Right now it's 22" tall. The boards are fixed such that there is no ledge on the inside of the pen. The hutch is the tallest thing in there. I will move it inward but I don't think he can climb up on the roof & jump.

Right now, the tallest rock is a piece of petrified wood about six inches. Most of tge other rocks are flat. We're trying a plastic garbage can lid for his water bowl/pool. It has flat rocks in it he can crawl out on
That sounds good. It does look smaller. I hate that pics can make things look so different.
I wouldnt count him out from climbing on the roof, he has done stuff I don't think anyone would expect. Lol.
No, I would be surprised if he could though.
For your first tort, you really pick one that might just be a handful lol. Good luck with him. I'm sure you will have lots of fun times. Just be sure to keep us updated on his crazy antics.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That sounds good. It does look smaller. I hate that pics can make things look so different.
I wouldnt count him out from climbing on the roof, he has done stuff I don't think anyone would expect. Lol.
No, I would be surprised if he could though.
For your first tort, you really pick one that might just be a handful lol. Good luck with him. I'm sure you will have lots of fun times. Just be sure to keep us updated on his crazy antics.
Absolutely!! I'm about to have the time of my life!!