Maybe I'll keep him...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Well, everything is back to normal after the fire.
Except that Houdini the Jerk was in the box turtle pond getting a drink, instead of his own pen. I started cutting some big limbs off the lilac tree and forgot about him. I really am glad my sister taught me many years ago...if you open a gate close it always.So after a while I remembered him...and of course the little sh*t was gone. Everything here is set up for bigger tortoises and this was a successful escape...I looked and looked, holy crap! I swear the following is the truth...after about 30 minutes...omg!!! Y'all remember Mary Knobbins and the tire???
Houdini the Jerk and the tire
100_8220.JPG
after I was done laughing I pulled him out and I just decided to let him go and see what he does...he had a buncha fun...
he climbed anything that looked even slightly climbable...
100_8247.JPG
100_8244.JPG
lololololol...his darn feet are off the ground
100_8251.JPG
he continued to climb anything, I just followed him around... too funny, he climbs a solid cedar fence, ate some clover...then after a while he went back where he had escaped and tried to go back in!!! He really makes me laugh
100_8253.JPG

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for sharing very uplifting. Good to observe as they will show you the weak spot ? which you can block.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Except that Houdini the Jerk was in the box turtle pond getting a drink, instead of his own pen. I started cutting some big limbs off the lilac tree and forgot about him. I really am glad my sister taught me many years ago...if you open a gate close it always.So after a while I remembered him...and of course the little sh*t was gone. Everything here is set up for bigger tortoises and this was a successful escape...I looked and looked, holy crap! I swear the following is the truth...after about 30 minutes...omg!!! Y'all remember Mary Knobbins and the tire???
View attachment 329130
after I was done laughing I pulled him out and I just decided to let him go and see what he does...he had a buncha fun...
View attachment 329131
View attachment 329132
View attachment 329133
he continued to climb anything, I just followed him around... too funny, he climbs a solid cedar fence, ate some clover...then after a while he went back where he had escaped and tried to go back in!!! He really makes me laugh
View attachment 329134
I think hes been watching Mary to much lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You sure it’s a male looks like a female to me can’t be sure
According to several of our own experts he is definitely a male, however, he is younger then I was told and it is said that young females can look like males or visa versa. So?
I'll take a few new butt photos and post them for others to judge him again...

Attachments

• 100_8086.JPG
    100_8086.JPG
    717.7 KB · Views: 26

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Lol wow, he is one brave and nosy tort. Sure keeps ya busy.
Yes he does. And he's awfully pretty to look at. He is a really fun tortoise with a big Sulcata personality and I really would like to keep him, but here he is being treated like a Sulcata and that's not right. He needs to be with someone younger and smarter than I. He seriously needs a better home than mine.
100_8146.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes he does. And he's awfully pretty to look at. He is a really fun tortoise with a big Sulcata personality and I really would like to keep him, but here he is being treated like a Sulcata and that's not right. He needs to be with someone younger and smarter than I. He seriously needs a better home than mine.
View attachment 329145
Seems to me he is doing just fine where he is! Of course you have to keep him. I hope you do.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
View attachment 329130
View attachment 329131
View attachment 329132
View attachment 329133
View attachment 329134
So maybe I need to build him a climbing wall in his indoor & outdoor enclosures with a robot arm that picks him up & turns him back over when he lands on his back? I think i'm going to need gym mats or something as well.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So maybe I need to build him a climbing wall in his indoor & outdoor enclosures with a robot arm that picks him up & turns him back over when he lands on his back? I think i'm going to need gym mats or something as well.
No you don't. My sister had told me and after really paying attention to him we both think that he is trying to get back to his home. He has completely relaxed in the tort table he sleeps in, and if he's in his normal inescapable pen that he escaped from he doesn't try too frantically anymore. So once he gets to your house he will act the same way for a few weeks then he'll settle down. If he does escape but once that shows him that he can escape and so he keeps trying. So many back flips in the beginning, but not many anymore. But...face plants yep!!!
100_8231.JPG
You are in for it girl!