housing 1 male and 1 female togehter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
matt581 said:
ok. what do u guys do out west when they say sulcata's dig holes at night time and so on? id like to leave mine outside in summer kinda nervious tho from preditors and so on...

They will burrow wherever they sleep. Mine burrowed in two places and have kept those two butrows their whole lives. So once they get situated they'll won't really dig anywhere else. Unless they are pregnant. I don't have to worry about preditors where I am. What kinds of preditors are you dealing with?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got a lone male in a pen that I would estimate at around 4000 sq. feet. Its hard to measure because it wraps all around a couple of buildings. My group is also 4 females and a male and they are in a 7000 sq. ft. pen most of the time. Sometimes I open up the wall and let them run around the entire 5 acres. They don't dig at night, they dig during the day. Mine will start to dig about once every six months or so, but I just fill it in and leave a cinderblock in that spot for a couple of weeks and they quit trying. Many never try to dig at all. Most of the time, if they have a big enclosure with weeds and hiding spots, plus a warm area to sleep at night, they don't even try to dig much. Mine are all contained within a big wall. We have 25 dogs, a donkey and a bunch of other animals, so the predators just don't come around. My yearlings are in a 26x35' enclosure with a heated underground shelter.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Arizona Sulcata said:
matt581 said:
ok. what do u guys do out west when they say sulcata's dig holes at night time and so on? id like to leave mine outside in summer kinda nervious tho from preditors and so on...

They will burrow wherever they sleep. Mine burrowed in two places and have kept those two butrows their whole lives. So once they get situated they'll won't really dig anywhere else. Unless they are pregnant. I don't have to worry about preditors where I am. What kinds of preditors are you dealing with?

U guys are lucky! MI sucks :( Id love to let them run free yr around! We have Fox around here Kyote and Minks and some craping dogs but ill fence in the area i just dont want to go to work and come home and have them gone or something i was thinking about just buying a big wooding shed and putting them in there atnight? I feel bad cause i have a 10yr sulcata that i rescued and he weighs only 7lbs! Never seen sun b4 want him outside as much as possible!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Jackson+MI+USMI0433

yep us MI people are ready for spring! lol u guys out west enjoy lucky :p

Status
Not open for further replies.