How active should they be?

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
My sulcata is very active. When the “sun” shows up he is up - goes runs few circles around the enclosure for about 20 min.
Goes looks out the window and starts eating. Than stretches and goes to his basking spot.
After about 20 min. he does few more rounds, gets his soak, eats, goes to sleep.
His least active times are from about 12-4:30.
Around 5 pm he starts another feast, running and “renovations in his enclosure.
One light turns off at 8pm the other at 9pm
I have noticed that he is getting ready for sleep after 8pm.

But maybe he had ADHD ??
I think in general hatchlings do get some good rest.

One of the experts will probably give you more valuable information than my one tortoise observation but figured I share.

Please post pictures of your enclosure and pictures of your tortoise.

SonyaBlaze

Phoenix, AZ
My sulcata is very active. When the “sun” shows up he is up - goes runs few circles around the enclosure for about 20 min.
Goes looks out the window and starts eating. Than stretches and goes to his basking spot.
After about 20 min. he does few more rounds, gets his soak, eats, goes to sleep.
His least active times are from about 12-4:30.
Around 5 pm he starts another feast, running and “renovations in his enclosure.
One light turns off at 8pm the other at 9pm
I have noticed that he is getting ready for sleep after 8pm.

But maybe he had ADHD ??
I think in general hatchlings do get some good rest.

One of the experts will probably give you more valuable information than my one tortoise observation but figured I share.

Please post pictures of your enclosure and pictures of your tortoise.
LOL that sounds like a happy tort to me!

My little "girl" sleeps all night long until I wake her to soak. I soak her for 15-30 minutes, daily. She was initially eating Romaine Lettuce, daily and Tortoise food (does not like) w/ calcium a few days a week. She also had hay and cabbage lettuce available throughout the day.

A couple of days ago I since changed her diet by providing grass, hay and prickly pear- doesn't seem too interested in it and I continue to provide the tortoise food and calcium every few days. She has access to hay and squash throughout the day.

Schedule:

I wake her up around 7am for a soak
after the soak she naps for about an hour
eats after the nap and is up for about 15-20 minutes
takes another nap for about for about 2hrs
she goes outside for 1.5hrs, not too long because of smoke and this is new to her schedule and takes a nap after walking the outside enclosure for 5-10 minutes
when placed back in her enclosure, she takes another nap for about an hour
walks the enclosure to the hiding place and is there for the rest of the night or moves to the heated side of the enclosure
She has been on the cool side of the enclosure most of the time lately
I turn the UVB light off around 8-9pm and I keep the basking light on all night

Enclosure temp:
temp 90 and humidity is at 55 on the hot side
temp 85 and humidity is at 60 on the cool side

Today she seems to move a little slower than usual and seems lethargic but bowels seem normal. She has not peed yesterday or today, that I am aware of but the last time (on my hand:) it was normal.

I attached pictures. I appreciate any help just want to make sure I am doing all that I can to be sure she thrives.

Attachments

• 20200922_191700.jpg
    20200922_191700.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20200922_195405.jpg
    20200922_195405.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 20

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Ah she is beautiful.
I would say her humidity is low.
Is this a closed chamber enclosure?

Here best thing you can do is to read Tom’s baby tortoise care sheet.

B2520606-DB56-4EF5-989D-94A23F6B042B.jpeg

Here is a ss of kinda what I am trying to keep ambient temperature and humidity at.

Today is off as I took the sensor out for some calibration and testing.
Sometimes during the day the temperature will hit 90 (he has cool space to hide).
But his humidity doesn’t fall really bellow 80s.

SonyaBlaze

Phoenix, AZ
Ah she is beautiful.
I would say her humidity is low.
Is this a closed chamber enclosure?

Here best thing you can do is to read Tom’s baby tortoise care sheet.

View attachment 307035

Here is a ss of kinda what I am trying to keep ambient temperature and humidity at.

Today is off as I took the sensor out for some calibration and testing.
Sometimes during the day the temperature will hit 90 (he has cool space to hide).
But his humidity doesn’t fall really bellow 80s.
Thank you!! t's closed... it seems when I get the humidity level up the enclosure is completely full of steam... I guess that's what it's supposed to be like?. I will get the humidity up. I turned off the basking light last night and this morning her eyes seemed a little puffy but she's more active.

I will definitely read the information provided by Tom. Thank you for your help and time!!

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Do you have a humidifier in there ?
You don’t really need it in closed chamber.
I have one almost never runs I turn it on for the plants.
What lights do you use - maybe pictures pls ?

saracheri

East Texas
LOL that sounds like a happy tort to me!

My little "girl" sleeps all night long until I wake her to soak. I soak her for 15-30 minutes, daily. She was initially eating Romaine Lettuce, daily and Tortoise food (does not like) w/ calcium a few days a week. She also had hay and cabbage lettuce available throughout the day.

A couple of days ago I since changed her diet by providing grass, hay and prickly pear- doesn't seem too interested in it and I continue to provide the tortoise food and calcium every few days. She has access to hay and squash throughout the day.

Schedule:

I wake her up around 7am for a soak
after the soak she naps for about an hour
eats after the nap and is up for about 15-20 minutes
takes another nap for about for about 2hrs
she goes outside for 1.5hrs, not too long because of smoke and this is new to her schedule and takes a nap after walking the outside enclosure for 5-10 minutes
when placed back in her enclosure, she takes another nap for about an hour
walks the enclosure to the hiding place and is there for the rest of the night or moves to the heated side of the enclosure
She has been on the cool side of the enclosure most of the time lately
I turn the UVB light off around 8-9pm and I keep the basking light on all night

Enclosure temp:
temp 90 and humidity is at 55 on the hot side
temp 85 and humidity is at 60 on the cool side

Today she seems to move a little slower than usual and seems lethargic but bowels seem normal. She has not peed yesterday or today, that I am aware of but the last time (on my hand:) it was normal.

I attached pictures. I appreciate any help just want to make sure I am doing all that I can to be sure she thrives.
Can I ask how do you present hay to her? Do you soften or it chop it up?I have tried to get my older one (9 years) to start eating orchard hay,but probably should've started earlier but he won't touch it. He likes cactus and greens mostly & plantains.

SonyaBlaze

Phoenix, AZ
Can I ask how do you present hay to her? Do you soften or it chop it up?I have tried to get my older one (9 years) to start eating orchard hay,but probably should've started earlier but he won't touch it. He likes cactus and greens mostly & plantains.
Yes, I chop them into little pieces and soak in water and mix with the other food. She's never had too much of a problem eating hay. It's also available in the enclosure.

I've heard of others blending the hay to make it a power. I haven't tried that method.

saracheri

East Texas
Yes, I chop them into little pieces and soak in water and mix with the other food. She's never had too much of a problem eating hay. It's also available in the enclosure.

I've heard of others blending the hay to make it a power. I haven't tried that method.
Thanks. I'll try mixing it in with something else chopped.