how are these incandescent bulbs?

mools

Location (City and/or State)
California
would these be viable for a basking bulb? or anyone has experience with using this kind?

b0d1ae50293f468ea5d3d3429ab8957a.jpg

would i need a dome?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I would use a dome. BR30 is fine.. ur thermostat will tell u better than me. U can lower or raise the lamp to get ur correct basking temps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
would these be viable for a basking bulb? or anyone has experience with using this kind?

b0d1ae50293f468ea5d3d3429ab8957a.jpg

would i need a dome?
Perfect. Yes on the dome. I agree on the ceramic socket.

Get a fixture from home depot for about $13. Cheaper and much better than the pet store types.

mools

California
Perfect. Yes on the dome. I agree on the ceramic socket.

Get a fixture from home depot for about $13. Cheaper and much better than the pet store types.
Do I need to worry about water getting into the socket because of the humidity? I don't want anything to fry

NYJoe

NY
As others posted, they are fine. Incandescent bulbs only provide heat and visible light, and the split is more heat than light. In this case they provide almost 65 Watts of heat plus white light. The needed heat depends on the size of the enclosure, the species, and the ambient room temperature. It's always good to use a thermometer and thermostat with heating systems. If this intended to be used as a daylight bulb, it should be on a timer.

The bulb does not provide any UV, which the turtle or tortoise expects when basking, so consider a separate reptile UV bulb shining on the basking spot.

Regarding the fixture, as others say, a dome lamp is generally good. You want to check the maximum wattage rating of the fixture. Most are rated for up to 100 Watts which is easily safe for a 65 Watt bulb, but you want to double check. The fixture rating is normally printed on the fixture.

Regarding moisture damage, the fixture should not be exposed to direct contact with water. Humidity is fine, but liquid water, including water droplets, is bad. This is usually easily managed by mounting the fixture at a safe height above any splashing water or misting devices. For most setups, at the top or just above the top of enclosure is fine.

mools

California
As others posted, they are fine. Incandescent bulbs only provide heat and visible light, and the split is more heat than light. In this case they provide almost 65 Watts of heat plus white light. The needed heat depends on the size of the enclosure, the species, and the ambient room temperature. It's always good to use a thermometer and thermostat with heating systems. If this intended to be used as a daylight bulb, it should be on a timer.

The bulb does not provide any UV, which the turtle or tortoise expects when basking, so consider a separate reptile UV bulb shining on the basking spot.

Regarding the fixture, as others say, a dome lamp is generally good. You want to check the maximum wattage rating of the fixture. Most are rated for up to 100 Watts which is easily safe for a 65 Watt bulb, but you want to double check. The fixture rating is normally printed on the fixture.

Regarding moisture damage, the fixture should not be exposed to direct contact with water. Humidity is fine, but liquid water, including water droplets, is bad. This is usually easily managed by mounting the fixture at a safe height above any splashing water or misting devices. For most setups, at the top or just above the top of enclosure is fine.
Thank you for the detailed write-up. It is much appreciated.