How big should my 1.5-year-old Sulcata be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I’m still new to this whole thing but I have a couple questions about my little man. I have a Sulcata tortoise that was born in 2009 (Sept or Oct of ‘09) and I was wondering what the typical size is for Sulcata Tortoises around this age. I know all tortoises are different but I just wanted to hear some different opinions. I’ll attach some pictures of my little man, Cedar, on here.

Thanks,

Mallorie

Attachments

• attachments_2011_06_01.zip
    49.4 KB · Views: 151

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Mo
The problem is there is no right or wrong answer they all grow at different rates. I have two that are about a year old, one weighs in at almost 900g the other at 350g. They were raised under the same conditions and ate the same foods. One is growing really quick and the other one is much slower, but both seem really healthy and that is all that really matters. As long as your Cedar is growing and eating well there is not much you can do about his growth rate that is up to him. Just make sure he is getting everything he needs like enough calcium, sun, etc.. There is very good information about this in the important threads at the top of this page.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Cfr. My fast growing yearlings are 600 and 550. I have a small 3 year old that is around 2000g. Some of them barely hit 100 grams by one year while others get closer to 1000. It just depends on so many factors.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Thanks Guys!

I guess I'm just getting impatient waiting for him to get big. :p
This might be a stupid question but is it true that they will only grow as big as their enclosures will let them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Not true at all. The size of the enclosure has nothing to do with how big an animal is genetically programmed to get.

If you feed Mazuri 2 or 3 times a week and follow the care sheet, he will probably start to sprout a bit faster and start growing smoother too.

Status
Not open for further replies.