How can I make my tortoises enclosure exciting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergie2468

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone, I just bought my tortoise Fergie 3 days ago and well...his enclosure is looking pretty boring. Have you guys got any ideas on how I can make his home more exciting? :tort:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What kind of tortoise?

The easiest way to make an enclosure more visually interesting to us as well as to the tortoise is to add live plants (fake plants can be used, but real plants offer more benefits to the tortoises, even if they do take more work.)

The kinds of plants, how many, and how exactly you plant them will depend on the species, space available, how the habitat is set up, and the climate in the habitat. Our own Terry O wrote an article about this here- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/planting-an-interesting-habitat

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Plant's are a very easy way to change the look. You can also try things like half logs to give the tortoise something to go into..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Some bricks or rocks for mountaineering practice are a good idea too. Torts love to climb and the sooner they learn to do it without tipping over the better

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi fergie2468:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you? and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

First of all, start with the biggest container that fits in the space you've decided on. If you use a small container, there's no room for all the "accouterments" that make a pretty and exciting habitat. Then add things like pieces of wood, a big rock, some plants in the pots, but sunk into the substrate, a couple hiding places, a food tile and a waterer, something to climb on safely...you get the idea.

If Fergie is a redfoot tortoise, or a tortoise that needs a more humid environment, then lots of plants makes it nice for him. If he's the type of tortoise who comes from a drier or more desert-like environment, then you can "plant" a few pots of cacti/succulents for him.

Have at it.....the world's your oyster!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Add a wolverine, a binturong, a honey badger and 3 weasels.

Now THAT will make it interesting!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
Add a wolverine, a binturong, a honey badger and 3 weasels.

Now THAT will make it interesting!!!

Everyone looked at me crazy here at work after I started laughing from reading your reply... :D:p:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom I don't think her enclosure would have room for all of them.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Madkins007 said:
What kind of tortoise?

The easiest way to make an enclosure more visually interesting to us as well as to the tortoise is to add live plants (fake plants can be used, but real plants offer more benefits to the tortoises, even if they do take more work.)

The kinds of plants, how many, and how exactly you plant them will depend on the species, space available, how the habitat is set up, and the climate in the habitat. Our own Terry O wrote an article about this here- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/planting-an-interesting-habitat

Madkins007,
Thank you for the tip on this (tortoiselibrary), it's awesome!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

.... I would leave out the weasels.... they don't get along well with honey badgers!:p

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome to the forum :) you will learn alot here ...

And TOM i would love to see all of those in one spot just make sure you get video of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.