How defined is a tortoise's taste?

Steven9786

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was wondering this after eating some Aloe Vera I was cutting up for my tortoises. When cutting up veggies for them, it's not unusual for me to go ahead and pop a piece of collard/mustard greens, grass, or veggie in my mouth to see what it tastes like. The aloe jelly was actually pretty tasty, but the skin was really bitter, so I spit it out.

It made me wonder if torts taste in a way similar that we do? And I was curious as to whether or not they taste bitter foods, like we do?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Tough, maybe impossible, to say without being a biologist who has studied taste bud structures of tortoises but I believe they can taste and smell pretty well. Who knows how it compares to our senses but I know my torts love getting sweet fruit. Bitterness may not bother them at all, or may be pleasant/desirable to their brains.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that parrots can eat very hot chillis or peppers without a problem, and tortoises are said to be close to birds, so...

I've seen a tortoise take a bite off a plant then spit it out and move on. So they must have some discriminatory taste.

Steven9786

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've read that birds can eat chili because the capsaicin doesn't affect them the way it does mammals. I think it was because birds are unable to digest seeds the way mammals can, that and and they travel longer distances; so the chili plants evolved to protect against mammals and favor birds, because they're more likely to spread their seeds that way.

My torts aren't really picky though, they'll eat pretty much anything that's in front of them :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I do this too :D If it's something I can eat, I might chew on a piece just to taste it... my tortoises tastes buds must be dead or something, because most weeds are bitter! o_O
They may have defined tastes, but it's probably different from humans. To them, bitter weed are AMAZING, and a human food to them might eb terrible.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Their smell and sense of color are known to be profound.