How do I figure out how old Buzz Lightyear is?

CEvans

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I rescued this guy and I am his 3rd owner and with my backyard/habitat hope to make it his last owner.
I was told he weighs approximately 75lbs in September.
His previous owner had a patio type home so the tortoise had limited wandering range. I have a 1600 sq ft home on a coroner lot with just under 1/2 acre and Buzz gets to roam all over now and boy does he.
I am told with a bigger habitat he will start to grow into it.

Also during our dry cold months is their an oil or something that I can use to put on his shell? I previous owners used a toilet brush to scratch his back (which he loves... he wiggles his butt like a dog) so I could use that to apply or a damp cloth.

Buzz2.jpg Buzz.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wow, big can of worms with your questions.

Age, it is difficult to say, at 75 pounds he could be as young as six or seven years old or much much older.

Size/growth, is wholly dependent on genetics and food. The size of the yard plays a role only in as much as there may be more access to food.

Oil on the shell does not in any way shape or form influence how cold it can be for the tortoise. The air temperature and exposure to sun will not change how the tortoise stays warm with or without oil on the shell. If you find it is too cold for the tortoise outside, which can happen in Phoenix, you ought to provide a heated night-house or let the tortoise dig it's own burrow (which can be a not so good thing).

In the sulcata sub-forum there are really great care guides that have been well vetted by dozens of people. There are also many images and diagrams with instruction on how to build night houses. I know of some folks that took the diagrams here to a carpenter and had a night-house built for them. You can also use a already built shed (like what can be purchased at a big box store and insulate it and heat it for tortoises.

Here is one that I copied for another type of tortoise.

Thanks for posting pictures about your tortoise.