No Poop/8 Year Old/New to Me

Wren

Location (City and/or State)
Palmerton,PA
Hi friends. Adopted an eight year old Sulcata from original private owner Tuesday evening. It's now Friday and Norman has yet to poop. He came to us VERY hungry and thirsty, ate like a wild man the first night, great the second night, not much last night, and was disinterested in grazing in the yard tonight. Seems odd to say a tortoise appears lethargic, but he is. I soaked him Wednesday and he's Had a 60-minute soak just now. Previous owner just admitted he hadn't fed or watered him much in "the last week or so" -- Norman was coated in filth and terribly thirsty and hungry when he came home here. No working lights, no powdered calcium, fed spring greens only, and that was sporadic. My husband is out buying canned pumpkin right now. Should I get him to a vet tomorrow or can I give it a few more days? I read it takes like six days for food to travel through their system, plus he's still acclimating to his new home. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give it a few more days. In the mean time, give him a nice warm soak in your tub so he has room to roam. If he doesn't poop in the tub take him for a car ride. At least 1/2 hour unless he poops before then. Tortoises almost always poops on a car ride and it helps too if they need to get some eggs out. At least it did my female leopard.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. No reason to get your Sully to a vet. It sounds like he was very much under cared for, and now u are turning things around. Plenty of good green grasses, weeds, soakings, some exercise, warm water soakings will do the trick. You might want to intoduce some fresh cactus pads, and/or aloe plants. As long as he's eating and drinking, he'll be fine. Get a few cuttle bones from your local pet shop. At this age/size, probably easier to have cuttle bones than guessing on calcium supplements.

Wren

Palmerton,PA
Thanks, Marco! Still waiting for the magical poop to arrive, but I feel better for reading your response. I do appreciate it!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sulcatas are nocturnal? I don't know anything much about sulcatas but I would not have thought they would be eating at night. Don't they need night for sleeping and daytime for grazing/eating? My redfoots sleep at night for sure.
Can you take some pics of him for us to have a look?
Good for you for adopting him. Stick around here, it's a great forum!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sulcatas are nocturnal? I don't know anything much about sulcatas but I would not have thought they would be eating at night. Don't they need night for sleeping and daytime for grazing/eating? My redfoots sleep at night for sure.
Can you take some pics of him for us to have a look?
Good for you for adopting him. Stick around here, it's a great forum!
OK Tammy. Now you have just read a bit about sulcatas and learned that they are in fact, crepuscular (active mostly at dawn and dusk). Wow!!! So they will eat at "night"! Great information.