How do i uninstall a graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm having trouble deleting my old graphic card's drivers. I go to device manager, click on display adapters, click into geforce mx 420 (AGP) and go to the drivers tab. when i click uninstall (were still under the driver tab.) it says it can't uninstall because it is required for Window xp to boot up.
I'm kinda a noob at deleting drivers and installing them, so if you could list it step by step accurately that would be greatly appreciated! I need to uninstall the old ones for my new radeon 4650 agp and im still having trouble with those installing to. So if you own a xfx radeon 4650 agp and managed to make it work, please help me out...

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
if you delete the graphics driver, then your monitor wont work anymore (thats why windows wont let you). you can only replace or fix the drivers, or you can just change the video card (the hardware), and get new drivers along with it.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
Thank you all so much!
@emysemys: thanks for the link. the site made it easier to understand all the useless mumbo jumbo on other sites...

@spike: so should I.....1. take out the old card without uninstalling the drivers 2. add the new card and try to reboot 3. with the new card, delete the old NVIDIA display drivers OR should i install the ATI drivers first and then delete the NVIDIA display drivers? I know that having two different drivers(ATI & NVIDIA) causes EXTREME lag.

@ Franeich: it is indeed listed under add/remove programs

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Try replacing the hardware first then updating the drivers. Your computer should be able to use your new card (even if only at 1024x768) while you load the new drivers.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Josh and Spike are right. Just replace the card first. Then install the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI. Windows will detect that you no longer have that display adapter. Uninstall the nVidia related graphics drivers and software from add/remove programs that should be all you need to do.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
okay it sounds good. i havent tried that yet. i will try it when i get home
offtopic: i got a new camera. with plenty of good tort pics. i will post some soon!

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
sorry to say this, but the idea of putting the card in then deleting the old one isn't going to work. it gets too laggy. idk why, but it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.