How do you breed red eared sliders to produce caramels, clowns or melanistics babies?

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Does anyone have experience at breeding red eared sliders to achieve caramel, melaniatic, clown morphs? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Well they have to carry the genes for those traits. Either a visual animal, or an animal het for those genes.

I'm not really into morphs, as I believe why pay more for a paint job, but I do respect it, and the animals are visually stunning.

Try checking out theturtlesource.com Mark is a wealth of knowledge and can help if you reach out.

NeoTestudo

San Juan
Well they have to carry the genes for those traits. Either a visual animal, or an animal het for those genes.

I'm not really into morphs, as I believe why pay more for a paint job, but I do respect it, and the animals are visually stunning.

Try checking out theturtlesource.com Mark is a wealth of knowledge and can help if you reach out.
Thank you for the tip!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, Red eared sliders are so overly produced already, why add to the problem. They have become an invasive species in some states because people can't house them once they are adults, so they just let them go.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's the morphs that are wanted. Personally though, I know nothing about morphology.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's the morphs that are wanted. Personally though, I know nothing about morphology.
Yes, but if they get to be the same size as a regular RES why risk it knowing they get so big and are given up so easy. Maybe if they are sold for really big money, they won't be let go.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
As a person against breeding MORE unwanted animals I find myself telling people quite often
"Get a job and make your own money instead of making an animal do the work for you"
DISCLAIMER: This was NOT directed at the OP, just my view on the issue
It seems some think they can make a quick buck of the hard work of an innocent animal, Lazy in my opinion. For every 'Morph' someone buys there are countless ones that people don't want so they end up suffering for as long as they are alive.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thanks EppsDynasty for sharing your opinion and sentiment.
I appreciate that you understand it is just that, my opinion. We are free to do what we want in this life, I have chosen to house and care for 'Homeless' Torts so my views are a little skewed.