How do you make a humid hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I know how to make them for geckos. But is it the same for tortoises? I use Hiawatha moss, I know it is not treated with anything I just don't know if it's safe for tortoises to eat? And what should I make it out of?

My tortoise species is going to be a hermann's. Do I need a humidity gauge inside it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Flip a plastic tub upside down and cut out a door hole. Keep the substrate under it damp.

Or semi bury a plastic show box and keep damp substrate in that. They key to keeping it humid is having only one small door opening, and no other ventilation. Moss, sponges on the ceiling and that sort of thing have never been necessary for me, but shouldn't hurt anything either.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
For a hermann's do I need to keep the rest of the substrate moist? If so how moist would you say I need to keep it? I'm planning on getting a seven month old I've found at a near by pet store. Hopefully it will work out. He looks really healthy and hardly any pyramiding. Just a tiny bit on his center curves, and I think he's young enough that it can be reversed or stopped right?

Status
Not open for further replies.