How does her shell look?

alicensally

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I am worried about my Leopard tortoise. She seems healthy and is growing but I am worried about pyramiding. Can you tell me if her shell looks alright? We live in Central Florida and she lives in an outdoor enclosure. If it gets chilly she also has an indoor house. Thanks.26731428_398462830588708_4200441169476899380_n.jpg

alicensally

Alabama
Well, crap. I have been worried about it but my friends told me she wasn't. What can I do? She lives outside in Central Florida. It's very hot and humid in the summer. Right now it's in the 80's. In the winter she comes inside.

Salspi

Chicago
What are you feeding? I’m sure you’ll get good advice here shortly.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Do you soak her in warm water? That should help. There isn't anything you can do about the pyramiding that is already there but you can try to keep it from getting worse.

alicensally

Alabama
She eats a wide variety of food. Prickly Pear Cactus, Christmas cactus, dandelions, hibiscus leaves, Chinese lantern leaves, collard greens, Petunias, Snapdragon and a bunch more. I try to mix it up and give her a wide variety. She also eats St. Augustine grass and Wheat grass. I am trying to grow Bermuda grass but it's not working. She gets tortoise pellets. I soaked her everyday when she was a baby. I soak her about once a week now. I'll start doing it everyday again.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You can try a misting system. Mister hose hanging above her. It's probably happening in the winter when you bring her in. All you can do is use closed humid chamber in the house in winter. It doesn't hurt her unless you let it get extreme. Right now it's just aesthetic. Being top heavy can be a hazard though. Make sure there aren't any tipping hazards in her outside enclosure since she'll have a harder time righting herself if she flips...mine is pyramided (when I got him in Ohio)and he can't right himself at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20160402_155030.jpg
    IMG_20160402_155030.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29

alicensally

Alabama
You can try a misting system. Mister hose hanging above her. It's probably happening in the winter when you bring her in. All you can do is use closed humid chamber in the house in winter. It doesn't hurt her unless you let it get extreme. Right now it's just aesthetic. Being top heavy can be a hazard though. Make sure there aren't any tipping hazards in her outside enclosure since she'll have a harder time righting herself if she flips...mine is pyramided (when I got him in Ohio)and he can't right himself at all.
That shell is amazing! I haven't seen one that color. Gorgeous!!