How does this look ?

harryboris

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1462399256.896066.jpg
Hi, I'm a new member.
My name is Harry and my Hermann is called boris (only 5month old so not sure he/she).

I've only had him a few days and would like to make sure his home is set up ok...? He seems to like broccoli, cabbage, carrot and lettuce so far plus a little dandelion.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Hi and welcome!

Please read the care sheet for Hermann tortoises. Also we love pictures of torties!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG it looks terrible.:p I just kidding, sorry, just one of those days:D it looks good and looks to be a nice size. So far the diet sounds okay, but no cabbage. Try to feed more weeds, etc and make sure the lettuce is not the regular head lettuce, but kale, mustard greens, collard greens, red lettuce, ridichio cactus pads, etc. there is a great care sheet in the hermanni section. Please read.
Hello and Welcome

M

Maggie Cummings

OMG it looks terrible.:p I just kidding, sorry, just one of those days:D it looks good and looks to be a nice size. So far the diet sounds okay, but no cabbage. Try to feed more weeds, etc and make sure the lettuce is not the regular head lettuce, but kale, mustard greens, collard greens, red lettuce, ridichio cactus pads, etc. there is a great care sheet in the hermanni section. Please read.
Hello and Welcome
LOL!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That enclosure looks far too dry for a five month old hermanni. Some damp substrate, a humid hide, and a cover would help with that.

The lighting, food and water bowls and hides look good. I would put a flat rock of some sort directly under the basking lamp. Also, is that a spot bulb, or a flood?

The only thing in the dietary items you mentioned that is good for him is the dandelion. All of those other things are not toxic, but they really are not good foods to be feeding regularly either. More broad leaf weeds, certain leaves and flowers (like mulberry or grape vine leaves…), and other things should be fed.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care for hermanni is basically the same as it is for horsfields.

harryboris

Hi and thanks for the help.
I have been out and bought a spray bottle to lightly spray water to make it more humid.
I have bought some fuchsia and petunias, do I give him the green leafs or give him the flower heads too ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harry, and welcome to the Forum!

It looks like you've been a victim of the old fashioned information from the pet store. There's no way you can safely use the alfalfa pellets with water/spray. They will mold. Also, your tort table wood might not hold up with a damp substrate sitting on it. The light can't possible warm up that whole tort table being positioned where it is, and your new baby needs to be kept pretty warm or he won't eat.

Please read the Hermanns care sheet that Tom referred you to. It has all the info you're going to need to keep your baby alive.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

A great job, love the enclosure.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I have bought some fuchsia and petunias, do I give him the green leafs or give him the flower heads too ?
Both, but you shouldn't feed him store bought plants. You can start feeding them to him next year, when hopefully most of the pesticides are gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Store bought flowers and plants are grown with systemic pesticides. You have to grow your own, or find sources that don't use pesticides.