How heavy should a 2and 3/4 year old marginated be?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thnk it would be best of you posted some pics, gave us a run down of the enclosure, lighting, diet and soaking habits and a measurement of his size and put his weight on here too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(and please place your new threads in the appropriate categories. I've moved about 8 of your threads out of "Introductions")

yillt

(and please place your new threads in the appropriate categories. I've moved about 8 of your threads out of "Introductions")
I'm sorry Yvonne G. I'll put them all in the right place from now on.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You had it in "Introductions" I'm the one who moved it to the Marginated section.

yillt

Please go and read my post in the introductions section. I am really sorry that you are angry with me but hope fully you will forgive me when you read my post about planting seeds in cage.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Haha! Don't worry about it. My name's Tiffany, but its abbreviated for my user.

yillt

Oh ok. Do you think that Yvonne will forgive me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All is forgiven. There really was nothing to forgive in the first place.

yillt

Do you have any thoughts on the starting topic topic. Billy's weight. He weighs 189 to 198 grams. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399788235.820274.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399788247.309504.jpg
This is his enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399788264.367708.jpg

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Well, in order to know if the weight is healthy, you will need to measure him by placing him onto a ruler to get the SCL (straight carapace length). I'll attach a pic of what I mean... the tortoise in the pic is a Russian tortoise, but measuring is the same.
CozyMeasure1.JPG

Different tortoises grow at such different rates, depending on temperature, humidity, what they are fed, UVB availability, supplementation, and genetic disposition. My 1.5 year-old Marginated tortoise weighs 290g and is just barely 10cm long. My 7-month old Marginated tortoise is 8cm and weighs 164g. So 190g sounds a little small for an almost-3-year-old, but it may depend on how it was started. I've kept mine in a hot/humid environment from the beginning, which can result in faster growth. The important part is that the weight is proportional to the length, and that there is a steady increase.

yillt

Well, in order to know if the weight is healthy, you will need to measure him by placing him onto a ruler to get the SCL (straight carapace length). I'll attach a pic of what I mean... the tortoise in the pic is a Russian tortoise, but measuring is the same.
View attachment 80003

Different tortoises grow at such different rates, depending on temperature, humidity, what they are fed, UVB availability, supplementation, and genetic disposition. My 1.5 year-old Marginated tortoise weighs 290g and is just barely 10cm long. My 7-month old Marginated tortoise is 8cm and weighs 164g. So 190g sounds a little small for an almost-3-year-old, but it may depend on how it was started. I've kept mine in a hot/humid environment from the beginning, which can result in faster growth. The important part is that the weight is proportional to the length, and that there is a steady increase.
He is suddenly growing now. His shell alone is about 10cm in length and he weighs 190g. All my family keep saying that he is growing so fast but I see him everyday and I don't notice the difference. I'm not sure that he is 3 years old he might be 2 but the people who gave him to me said he was 1 when I got him even though he was about half the size and weight of a one year old.