How high should the basking temp be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solstitialis

5 Year Member
I have been tweaking with my sulcata barn and his basking daylight temperature is about 120 degrees. Is this too high? I currently have a 250 watt light in there.

At night time, I have a 250 watt red light. I *just* put in a stanfield heat matt and would like to discontinue the night lamp, but my tortoise doesn't seem to realize the matt is warm just yet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
That is a bit high, in my opinion. I would raise the light so that it is about 100* directly underneath it.

I use one of those red 250W bulbs on my Uromastyx, and it is actually pretty darn close to the ground to produce 120*. Plus it is infrared, which means it heats body tissues even warmer than it does solid objects. I would be afraid of burning my tortoise, using it that hot and close to the ground. Plus, if you are measuring temps at ground level, then remember that a 60lb tort's back is quite a bit closer to that bulb.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
120 is actually an EXCELLENT basking temp for any sulcata...they can withstand 135 easily...but why push those boundaries. I am not a big fan of nightlights...and if he doesn't dig the heat mat then I would suggest a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Again...the enclosure should range from 80 - 100 generally with a basking spot (preferably slate or concrete) of 110 -125...just make sure the heat source isn't any closer than 12 inches from the top of the carapace. Generally, I like to see the cool end of the spectrum at around 70...but winters can be harsh...so let's call it 80;)

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
DeanS said:
120 is actually an EXCELLENT basking temp for any sulcata...they can withstand 135 easily...but why push those boundaries. I am not a big fan of nightlights...and if he doesn't dig the heat mat then I would suggest a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Again...the enclosure should range from 80 - 100 generally with a basking spot (preferably slate or concrete) of 110 -125...just make sure the heat source isn't any closer than 12 inches from the top of the carapace. Generally, I like to see the cool end of the spectrum at around 70...but winters can be harsh...so let's call it 80;)

Well said. just watch the distance from animal to heat source and plenty of space to manuever out of basking spot. I have seen more than 1 CHE fall out of it's dome for no good reason.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Dean, I want to point something out.

Yes, a Sulcata can WITHSTAND 135*. BUT, are they out in the sun when it is that hot out?

I don't think so. They are probably in their burrow, which isn't that hot, conserving moisture. Every tortoise I have ever observed wakes up, basks for an hour, grazes for a bit, and once temps begin to push over 85, hides in the shade.

Tortoises need a basking area of around 100* to warm their bodies up to the point where they can function, including free movement and digestion.

Not a SINGLE one of my tortoises spends any longer basking than it takes them to get to a functional temperature. The rest of the time they are in the cooler areas of the enclosure, in borrows, or moving around.

Too hot temps leads to dehydration. If 100* does the trick, as you said, why push the boundaries? Why push it to 120 or higher?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I like the high temps (and so do my torts;))! Remember...The temps should vary at different parts of the enclosure...and when all else fails, they can always retreat to their humid hides...but the babies do spend a good hour in the morning and another hour or so in the late afternoon under the MVB and it fluctuates between 105 and 120...depending on how high or low I adjust the lamp stand! Again...I never have the source so close that it frying them is even a concern. Plus, I soak them an hour in the AM and an hour in the PM (not to mention misting the hell outta them). I'm sure if you ask around (or start a poll), most (experienced) leopard and sulcata owners will concur on the temps.

M

Maggie Cummings

My 80 pound Sulcata's basking temperature at carapace level is 115 degrees and he spends a lot of time basking at that temp.

solstitialis, possibly the pig blanket is too hot. Did you buy a rheostat with it? Do you know how hot it is? Or just maybe it's not hot enough...My big Sulcata spends a lot of time warming up between his mat and the basking light, he goes back and forth between the 2. I live in the Pacific North West and we are very cold now. The ambient temperature in Bob's shed is 95 degrees...I am having a problem with his floor being too cold right now and I didn't have this problem last year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This summer my reptile room hit 96 a few times. All the leopards AND the baby sulcatas were still basking most of the day where it was 120-125 under their lights. The big sulcatas are still very active when temps outside are 100-105. They run around and go about their business in the direct sunlight. I've temped their carapaces at over 140 many times. They have shade and water and mud wallows, but the heat doesn't seem to bother them. I think they can survive just fine with a 95 degree basking temp, but personally, for sulcatas at least, I like it 110-120 for a basking SPOT. I usually tell people (mostly newbies) 100-110 because I'm afraid they will over do it or not really check it correctly or often enough. (No offense Newbs. I've just seen some really crazy stuff over the years.)

Now having said all of that, I'm currently re-considering basking and bulbs all together, due to their desiccating effect.

... aww, who am I kidding? I'm always re-considering EVERYTHING!

solstitialis

5 Year Member
So the 120 temperature I recorded is at carapace level; I taped a digital thermometer to his shell to get a better idea of what temps he is experienciing. He has started to use his heating pad; I just got the controller and everything going and I am trying to get the pad set just right

Status
Not open for further replies.