How high should this bulb be? Uvi

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
I have a horsefield, before I drill any holes, how high from his shell should this bulb be? It’s the 12% bulb. On the Ferguson scale he’s zone 3 so needs between 2.9 - 7.4. Should I go higher end of that say 6) or lower at say 3?

Attachments

• 9F1FF143-A68E-400B-9638-7E111C799A9B.jpeg
    9F1FF143-A68E-400B-9638-7E111C799A9B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are you thinking of screwing it to the side of the table?
I think they are more efficient and better for the tort if they are more central - maybe resting on a grid across the top, but I'll see if I can find out more info. or maybe someone else will know.
(If you post the picture of the table again here, it will save members having to switch between 2 threads)

Bethanrs

Wales uk
Are you thinking of screwing it to the side of the table?
I think they are more efficient and better for the tort if they are more central - maybe resting on a grid across the top, but I'll see if I can find out more info.
I will be yes but I’ve bought these big brackets that go 12 inches out so it will take the light to the centre of the table 😊

Attachments

• E7E0A8DF-9E1E-4B4A-88BD-0C09CF0E3D0A.png
    E7E0A8DF-9E1E-4B4A-88BD-0C09CF0E3D0A.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like a UVI of 3-5 for about 3-4 hours mid day. In warmer weather when my indoor tortoises get outside more often, I only run the tube for an hour or two when they are inside. Over winter when we have cold spells and outdoor UV from the sun is at its lowest, I will run the 12% HO tubes for 3-4 hours mid day. With the Arcadia 12% HO tubes and a reflector, this level is usually achieved at around 18-20 inches.

I rely on the heat lamp and LEDs for ambient lighting. The enclosure should be bright enough that you don't even really notice that the UV tube is on.

When used this way the Arcadia 12% HO tubes will last for years.

Bethanrs

Wales uk
I like a UVI of 3-5 for about 3-4 hours mid day. In warmer weather when my indoor tortoises get outside more often, I only run the tube for an hour or two when they are inside. Over winter when we have cold spells and outdoor UV from the sun is at its lowest, I will run the 12% HO tubes for 3-4 hours mid day. With the Arcadia 12% HO tubes and a reflector, this level is usually achieved at around 18-20 inches.

I rely on the heat lamp and LEDs for ambient lighting. The enclosure should be bright enough that you don't even really notice that the UV tube is on.

Thanks! I’ll alter my timer to this method later. I was surprised how light the bulb and fixture was! And impressed that you can sign up to be notified in a year when a new bulb is needed! Thanks!

Bethanrs

Wales uk

What LED bulbs do you use for lighting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! I’ll alter my timer to this method later. I was surprised how light the bulb and fixture was! And impressed that you can sign up to be notified in a year when a new bulb is needed! Thanks!
Use your UV meter to tell you when a new tube is needed. When only used for 3-4 hours mid day, your bulb will keep producing strong UV for 2 or 3 years. If the UV level drops a little over time, you can lower the fixture a little bit. Over time, this will save you lots of money and be a lot less wasteful.

I use store bought LEDs. Either the under cabinet style of strip, or the simple screw-in type. Get bulbs in the 5000-6500K color range. This info will be on the package.