How is he progressing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Its been a while but some might remember Lightening McQueen my GG hatchling I bought November 2008 at a reptile expo.
Without this board he would not be such a happy and healthy guy.
I would like some honest opinions on how he looks now. He loves to eat baby food from a syringe. I try and get all my reptiles liking the syringe if I ever need to medicate them and it has always worked. I buy organic fruits and veggie baby food and feed a couple times a week.
This is the Lightening u might remember me posting and asking so many newbee questions. Thanks for the answers. Him then
HalloweenandLightening041-1.jpg

Rexandtorts071-2.jpg

Him now enjoying some carrot baby food.
7-15-09lighteninganddragons035.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons028.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons012.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons002.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons004.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons009.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons010.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons013.jpg

Let me know what you think. I still put bird vitamins in his water daily. Is that still necessary?
Thanks for all your help.

I think he is probably the cutest tortoise every created.

7-15-09lighteninganddragons016.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons026.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons027.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons031.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons032.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons038.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons041.jpg

7-15-09lighteninganddragons045.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What a beautiful baby! He looks very happy and healthy. And I LOVE the idea of getting him used to eating from a syringe. That was really good thinking on your part. Thanks so much for sharing those pictures. They are beautiful!

Yvonne

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
What a beautiful baby! He looks very happy and healthy. And I LOVE the idea of getting him used to eating from a syringe. That was really good thinking on your part. Thanks so much for sharing those pictures. They are beautiful!

Yvonne

Thank you. I really want to get another one but I do not have space for another table. I am not sure if adding a friend would be fine or better left as an only tort?
When can I cut back on the yellow bird vitamins I add to his water daily?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
So cute! I think the syringe is a great idea for the reasons you said. Could you explain more what percentages approximately of different foods you feed? I understand we may have a skewed view with the photos... I see a lot of fruits, carrots, veggies, broccoli, etc. I think weeds and greens should be the far majority of the diet.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looking good very good growth, and he is getting big quick, lol.. He looks very happy.

as for getting another another one would be fine... they can live alone too though they don't get lonely. If you do get another one just have more hides.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
So cute! I think the syringe is a great idea for the reasons you said. Could you explain more what percentages approximately of different foods you feed? I understand we may have a skewed view with the photos... I see a lot of fruits, carrots, veggies, broccoli, etc. I think weeds and greens should be the far majority of the diet.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks and he only gets a plate like that maybe 1-2 times a week. The rest of the time its all greens, cactus, dandelion, hibiscus and mazuri pellets.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't think bird vitamins should be used daily. I would only use them with a sick tort, especially because of the vitamin A content.

In my opinion that would still be too much, but I'm entitled to my opinion. I would feed that once a month to never. More likely, maybe 10% of a treat food with the rest greens rather than a plate of all treat food.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
He is a beautiful tortoise! SO clean! Did you bathe him before his pictures??? :p Anouk is always such a dusty, dirty girl! Wonderfully smooth growth on him....you've done a great job!

In my opinion, I don't think feeding him veggies once a week is bad, but I would stay away from canned peaches which have way too much sugar, and broccoli as it can be hard to digest. Squash, yellow zucchini and reg zucchini are good veggies to feed that are nice on the tummy...my adult Greek LOVES his bell peppers too. I would suggest feeding the veggies WITH spring mix and greens though, or you could get a picky eater that holds out for the days when the "good stuff" is served. Nigel tried that on me a few weeks ago, and since then, I've stopped treat days.

I'm impressed that you got him to eat veggies at such a young age. Anouk (almost 10 mos) wouldn't touch anything until about two weeks ago that wasn't a type of lettuce. Even turned up her nose at a dandelion!

He is a mighty fine looker though! I'm a sucker for greeks!

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I don't think bird vitamins should be used daily. I would only use them with a sick tort, especially because of the vitamin A content.

In my opinion that would still be too much, but I'm entitled to my opinion. I would feed that once a month to never. More likely, maybe 10% of a treat food with the rest greens rather than a plate of all treat food.

If I had a full picture of his table you would have seen his normal dish filled with nothing but greens. I do mix quite a bit of spring mix in because I buy in bulk for my dragons.
He gets a plate of treats not very often and he eats such a small amount of it I do not worry to much. I could give it everyday and other then playing with it and a few bites he prefers his greens. I usually do not waste anything on him fruit and vegi wise. I do offer it though.

Meg90 said:
He is a beautiful tortoise! SO clean! Did you bathe him before his pictures??? :p Anouk is always such a dusty, dirty girl! Wonderfully smooth growth on him....you've done a great job!

In my opinion, I don't think feeding him veggies once a week is bad, but I would stay away from canned peaches which have way too much sugar, and broccoli as it can be hard to digest. Squash, yellow zucchini and reg zucchini are good veggies to feed that are nice on the tummy...my adult Greek LOVES his bell peppers too. I would suggest feeding the veggies WITH spring mix and greens though, or you could get a picky eater that holds out for the days when the "good stuff" is served. Nigel tried that on me a few weeks ago, and since then, I've stopped treat days.

I'm impressed that you got him to eat veggies at such a young age. Anouk (almost 10 mos) wouldn't touch anything until about two weeks ago that wasn't a type of lettuce. Even turned up her nose at a dandelion!

He is a mighty fine looker though! I'm a sucker for greeks!

Thanks so much and he did just soak in about an inch of water. I try and give him a bath daily in addition to his water dish. He is a pretty clean tort and does not get to dirty.
I have never fed him canned food. That is a fresh apricot cut in half. I had just got some farm fresh fruit and vegis so I cut some up for him. It is all organic and nothing is ever canned. He does not really even like the broccoli but I put it in to see. The other vegis on his plate were fresh yellow squash, fresh green melon, fresh cucumber and a couple grapes cut up.
He does like bell peppers and loves squash with apple sometimes. I really do not give him much of anything but his greens and since I have spring mix all the time he gets quite a bit of that too. I give him a huge variety and most anything in the form of a leafy green he devours.
I am amazed at times on how much goes in that little shell of his. He out eats the Russians and sometimes I think he gets so full he can not move. Its cute. He will take a nap on his plate of greens and wake up and eat more. He is a great guy.
Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I THINK I remember Danny saying he used the bird vitamin/water soak for hatchlings. That means for the first year of life. After that they are yearlings.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I also use the bird vits for the hatchlings. Up to a year then if they are ill I will use it to give them a boost of vits. Lightning looks wonderful you are doing a great job with him. He has such a smooth shell and bright eyes the picture of health. Congratulations on a job well done.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I guess he is approaching a year so I will stop the bird vitamins.
crazy1- if it was not for this forum and the help of you guys he would not be such a picture of health. Thanks for helping me through the very scary first few months. It was nerve racking he was so little. I was doing everything wrong and the only thing I did correct when I got him was joining this forum.
So a big THANKS to all who helped me. I know Lightening thanks you too.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.