Tortoise May Have Inhaled Some Water

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello everyone. I had a different thread about this but no one answered this question that I asked and I need answers ASAP. I have a tortoise that is sick and he does not any food and I was syringe feeding him some soaked pellets and water through his mouth (usually 0,5ml water a time). I am concerned that he may have gotten some water in his lungs. He may have aspirated some water when I was hydrating him with the syringe. How can I understand if he got water in his lungs? How can I get it out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. The other thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/syringe-feeding-water-and-pellets.201016/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As I understand it syringing isn't recommended because of the risk of aspirating if the fluid/food goes the wrong way. but I'm not entirely sure about that. I don't think there's a way of getting it out but make sure he is kept warm. He may need something more than soggy pellets.
I'll tag some people who may be able to help
@zovick @Yvonne G @Markw84 @Tom
If you give details here about what seems to be wrong with your tort, species and pics of his enclosure and lamps etc it will save people toggling between threads and get you more help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think you can get it out either. Keep him warm 85 day and night and just soak him in warm water that you mix baby food puted carrots and piediyte in. Do this 2x daily keeping hum warm always.

Kansas
I don't think you can get it out either. Keep him warm 85 day and night and just soak him in warm water that you mix baby food puted carrots and piediyte in. Do this 2x daily keeping hum warm always.
Thank you for your help! Although idk what piediyte is (did you mean pedialyte or am I wrong) and is there a way that I can understand if there is any water in his lungs? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes pedialyte.
All you can do is keep an eye on him. If he acts normal I wouldn't worry. You see any changes that aren't good, call a vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I had a different thread about this but no one answered this question that I asked and I need answers ASAP. I have a tortoise that is sick and he does not any food and I was syringe feeding him some soaked pellets and water through his mouth (usually 0,5ml water a time). I am concerned that he may have gotten some water in his lungs. He may have aspirated some water when I was hydrating him with the syringe. How can I understand if he got water in his lungs? How can I get it out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. The other thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/syringe-feeding-water-and-pellets.201016/
I didn't see the other thread, but I would have told you not to do that. Torts can go months without eating with no ill effect. If they are not eating, there is a reason. Rather than ignoring the problem and trying to force food into them that they likely can't even process, the way to hep them is to discover and correct the problem. When the problem is corrected, the appetite will come back on its own.

To maintain hydration, all you have to do is soak them.

Having said all of that, there isn't much you can do now. If there is fluid in the lungs, the tortoise will have to clear it, or die. A vet may be able to help if you can find one that won't do more harm than good.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I had a sulcata hatchling tip into a water bowl that was supposed to be tortoise approved.Found it upside down in water. The young tort developed symptoms within forty eight hours. I took it to an exotic animal veterinarian who x rayed its lungs and we were pleasantly surprised lungs were clear. He then gave me amoxicillin drops to orally administer. After that episode I will never try to administer meds , food water, ect orally. My young hatchling aspirated the amoxicillin and within two horrible weeks died.Very hard to orally administer any meds ,food or water to a tort who is really not up to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a sulcata hatchling tip into a water bowl that was supposed to be tortoise approved.Found it upside down in water. The young tort developed symptoms within forty eight hours. I took it to an exotic animal veterinarian who x rayed its lungs and we were pleasantly surprised lungs were clear. He then gave me amoxicillin drops to orally administer. After that episode I will never try to administer meds , food water, ect orally. My young hatchling aspirated the amoxicillin and within two horrible weeks died.Very hard to orally administer any meds ,food or water to a tort who is really not up to it.
It can be done, but it has to be done a certain way, and its is very difficult. You have to get it way down deep into the throat past the airway opening. In most cases, a feeding tube should be installed by a vet for tortoises that need this sort of help.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
It can be done, but it has to be done a certain way, and its is very difficult. You have to get it way down deep into the throat past the airway opening. In most cases, a feeding tube should be installed by a vet for tortoises that need this sort of help.
Thanks Tom , I understand about the feeding tube and have successfully used one to feed sick puppies. I dont think I have the skills to guide a tube down the throat of a hatchling tortoise and will leave that to a vet who has experience with tortoises.I even find it hard to get a sick hatchling to open its mouth.I kinda feel like im doing more harm then good