How long can baby hermann s live together?

Nathan23

Hello and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I was searching for 1 or 2 hermann tortoises and wound up with 6!!
How long am I able to keep the little guys together?
Two are 3 months old and the other four are 2 months old.

Thank you.20140523_192628.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You will see a mother and her baby's together in this pict ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401485809.266770.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't think there is a set answer. You'll watch them for aggressive behavior, especially as they mature. Omnivores eat each other's tails and toes sometimes. These herbivores aren't going to mistake each other for food. Just make sure everyone is gaining. Bullying can be subtle. And don't assume that because it's working now it'll keep working. You're already there, so that's good.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Enough outdoor space they should be fine, once the hormones kick in, who knows?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. I will just provide a as large as possible enclosure for them till I may suspicious of stress or bullying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Until the males, if any, start reaching maturity. When that happens all hell will break loose and you'll need to separate them. Most likely that will happen in 2-4 years.

Remember to make that enclosure HUGE for that many animals. 4x4' for now and soon to be 4x8' as a minimum.

Hello and welcome to the forum and color me jealous!

Nathan23

Thank you all for your replies. I live in central ontario and right now the weather is still dipping to 40 or 50 degrees at night. So i don't think outdoors is possible.
I was told that they shouldn't be housed outdoors until next year? Is there any validity in that?
Another question I have is why does the one little guy (junior) seem to be so yellow? He is from a different breeder altogether. But he is still so much brighter then the others!?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can make a safe outdoor enclosure and put them out for sun, exercise and grazing during fair weather, then bring them in at night.

There is a wide variety of genetics within the hermanni. You are seeing some differing genetics at work. ALL of them are gorgeous.