How long can I wait before I place my tortoises' eggs into the incubator

tim123

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey, so I have two russian tortoises that have laid eggs in the past, last time they laid them I attempted to incubate the eggs however they never survived. The materials I have available to me are a Zoomed Reptibator, hatchrite, and some dishes to place the eggs and hatchrite into. I have a job and I'm not always home so I would like to know first: do I have the proper equipment to incubate the eggs, second: how long can I wait after the eggs hatch before they become inviable, and Third: how can I ensure a successful clutch of eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, so I have two russian tortoises that have laid eggs in the past, last time they laid them I attempted to incubate the eggs however they never survived. The materials I have available to me are a Zoomed Reptibator, hatchrite, and some dishes to place the eggs and hatchrite into. I have a job and I'm not always home so I would like to know first: do I have the proper equipment to incubate the eggs, second: how long can I wait after the eggs hatch before they become inviable, and Third: how can I ensure a successful clutch of eggs.
Hi! Don't use hatch rite. That has perlite in it and that will kill the babies after hatching. Use vermiculite instead. Its also damp and you need dry.

Russians are the only species I know of that need dry media. Don't add any water to the vermiculite, but keep humidity in the incubator high. Over 80%.

The eggs can sit at room temp for a month or more while you get everything set up and running correctly, so there is no rush.

Much more info here:

Questions welcome.

tim123

Ohio
Hi! Don't use hatch rite. That has perlite in it and that will kill the babies after hatching. Use vermiculite instead. Its also damp and you need dry.

Russians are the only species I know of that need dry media. Don't add any water to the vermiculite, but keep humidity in the incubator high. Over 80%.

The eggs can sit at room temp for a month or more while you get everything set up and running correctly, so there is no rush.

Much more info here:

Questions welcome.
Thank you so much!