How long can they go! (?)

ben awes

5 Year Member
Should I change my T5HO Arcadia bulbs just because? This is a strange situation - I'm antsy to change my Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB florescent's because I got them 2 years ago and it should be time! However, they still read 200 UVB at the ends and 275 in the middle. This is my first set of Arcadia and am not sure when to change them? I've read to change the once a year, but at the current readings, aren't they still good? When I first got them the readings were 475! Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that's pretty darn good for two years. I really can't help on this, but I think if it were me and I can get my torts out for real sun most or half of the year, I don't think I would change them yet. But if you want to spend your money, go for it. It wouldn't hurt anything except you bank account:D. Maybe @Tom , @tortadise @Will will have some idea.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Right! Two years! I got them Oct '13

Their website clearly states to change them every year. Maybe there is other stuff in the light that degrades, or maybe UVB is more complex than a simple uvb meter reading? I don't know, but you'd hope they would not recommend replacement before the useful life is actually expired (did someone say prescription meds?). Or are my bulbs just anomalies?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I found your old thread when you got these. @turtlesteve seemed to know a lot about these. I'm hoping he will see this and post. He had a wish list of a solar meter. Hopefully he got one and has metered his and will have an idea how long they really last. If they really are good for two years, I will be switching and Arcadia would be stupid to not advertise that.
Do you run them every day or only in winter?

ben awes

5 Year Member
I've run them everyday from approx 6am to 9pm 365. Either way, I'm never going back. I was blown away the moment I turned them on the first time. I still have a couple MV bulbs that I use for basking and general heat, but for UVB and good bright light - Arcadia all the way. I have a 4' 4 bulb fixture, and I use two T5HO 12% and two AgroBrite 54 watt 6500K bulbs for full spectrum. i've gone ahead and ordered replacements and will decide when to put them in based on feedback I get.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I change my T5HO Arcadia bulbs just because? This is a strange situation - I'm antsy to change my Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB florescent's because I got them 2 years ago and it should be time! However, they still read 200 UVB at the ends and 275 in the middle. This is my first set of Arcadia and am not sure when to change them? I've read to change the once a year, but at the current readings, aren't they still good? When I first got them the readings were 475! Thanks.

If those reading are down at tortoise level, there is no need to replace your bulbs yet, in my opinion. That is still WAY higher than a brand new 10.0 tube at 10". I would feel comfortable going through one more winter with readings that high, and replace them next fall.

I agree with you that those Arcadia bulbs are great. That is all I use anymore too.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I tend to not be so disciplined, frankly, in changing the tubes. What I do though is change one of two tubes
'about' every year to two. I don't have a meter. So that way there is one tube that is older than the other at all times.

I use a sharpies and write right on the tube the date put in place and if I take one out for later use I write that on it as well. Some tubes have been around for many years but only used for several months.

I ought to get a meter.

ben awes

5 Year Member
If those reading are down at tortoise level, there is no need to replace your bulbs yet, in my opinion. That is still WAY higher than a brand new 10.0 tube at 10". I would feel comfortable going through one more winter with readings that high, and replace them next fall.

I agree with you that those Arcadia bulbs are great. That is all I use anymore too.

Well, I ordered new bulbs but have yet to decide when to use them. I'm going to try and get some further info from Arcadia. If there are other reasons to replace, i want to know. Maybe it's the big secret they don't want out there - I mean heck, they might have designed themselves out of business if these things last three years!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can I get some info about them that I can't find on the Internet? What is the amps or watts one fixture with bulb uses and where do you get them? The cheapest I found was 75.00 for a 22 inch fixture and the t5 bulb.
I am trying to lower amps in the shed and possibly the electric bill by reconfiguring the lights. This might be the way to go along with regular incondenscent bulbs. Btw, can these be used in a regular flourescnt bulb fixture?
@Tom is this how you do it now and does the price sound reasonable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I get some info about them that I can't find on the Internet? What is the amps or watts one fixture with bulb uses and where do you get them? The cheapest I found was 75.00 for a 22 inch fixture and the t5 bulb.
I am trying to lower amps in the shed and possibly the electric bill by reconfiguring the lights. This might be the way to go along with regular incondenscent bulbs. Btw, can these be used in a regular flourescnt bulb fixture?

You have to have specific HO fixtures for these bulbs and the wattage depends on the length of the tube. I have the 34" and 46" ones in my enclosures, and I love them. Perfect in every way.

I get mine here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com Great company and great customer service. Get a fixture with a reflector hood and it makes them work even better.

ben awes

5 Year Member

I get my bulbs from lightmyreptiles like Tom, but I got my fixture from HydroFarm. I don't recall why, but it's awesome. The fixture is very important. I tried the Arcadia bulbs with several standard fixture that i had my 10% UVB T8 in and it would not work. (I even had trouble when I had both full spectrum and UVB T5HO's in the same fixture - which slots I had them in mattered. Once I got them right they'e worked great).
https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/FLT44

ps, the fixtures are way expensive - that's just the deal with the good fixtures I think. My 4' 4 bulb was close to $200 I think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With the amount of $$ that proper lighting costs, I can't imagine not having a UVB meter.

Yeah, me neither. I think they are as essential as a thermometer for those people who live in areas with frozen winters and rely on indoor UV for months at a time. I don't even need UV lights or meters here since I use real sunshine year round, but it is sure nice to have both as cheap insurance for my herds.

The manufactures would much prefer it if we just bought brand new bulbs every 6 months whether we needed them or not. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The fixture for $75 comes with the Arcadia bulb T5 HO 12% and is from lightmyreptiles. It's a 22 inch. The 48 inch I believe is around $200 with bulb.
I need three so the smaller ones would be fine I think?

ben awes

5 Year Member
interestingly, i installed the new arcadia bulbs and am getting readings in the 275 range. thats not much above my two year old bulbs! My first set two hears ago were well over 400. I wonder if they changed the formula, or if those bulbs were "defective" or what?

Either way, I am a bit disappointed and clearly spoiled on the first set! Does 275 @ 16" sound normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that is disappointing. Have you called the company you bought them from? I think you should. They might have an answer or idea of what's going on.

ben awes

5 Year Member
interestingly, i installed the new arcadia bulbs and am getting readings in the 275 range. thats not much above my two year old bulbs! My first set two hears ago were well over 400. I wonder if they changed the formula, or if those bulbs were "defective" or what?

Either way, I am a bit disappointed and clearly spoiled on the first set! Does 275 @ 16" sound normal?
I lied! I went back and checked my old notes and my statement of readings over 400 was way off and I would not want to mislead anyone. My original readings were around 250. Sorry! However, that creates an even more unusual situation - that means that my two year old Arcadia bulbs had degraded barely 20% in two years! Lightyourreptiles saw no reason to change them if they still had that level of output.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
These Arcadia bulbs do sound great. Haven't really heard anything bad about them. But if they give out such high readings even at 15 or 18 inches above my tortoise would I really want them on all day? I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day in the winter indoor enclosures. I realize my Russian tortoise isn't out under the light constantly but would I have to be concerned about too much UV over the seven or eight months that she is inside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
These Arcadia bulbs do sound great. Haven't really heard anything bad about them. But if they give out such high readings even at 15 or 18 inches above my tortoise would I really want them on all day? I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day in the winter indoor enclosures. I realize my Russian tortoise isn't out under the light constantly but would I have to be concerned about too much UV over the seven or eight months that she is inside?
No need to worry. No light will ever give off as much as the sun.