How long can torts go without uv light on?

rach.sxo

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
I keep my tortoise in a vivarium and have the uv light on for 12-14 hours each day.
I stayed at my boyfriends house this weekend and my parents didn't put his light back on this morning so he's been without it all through today.
Is this safe and will it make a difference?

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I keep my tortoise in a vivarium and have the uv light on for 12-14 hours each day.
I stayed at my boyfriends house this weekend and my parents didn't put his light back on this morning so he's been without it all through today.
Is this safe and will it make a difference?

There are people who keep their animals without any light and they breed species which most of the people don't know! But this form of keeping is a form for only very experienced keepers!

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
Oh thank you both!!
I've only had him a few months and still panicky about getting things wrong haha :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You'll be fine. You could consider getting a timer for the lights then you don't have to rely on other people. I got mine for 10 bucks at the hardware store.

Killerrookie

No problem!!! When I had my first tortoise, I was always stressed and afraid that something that happens will kill my tortoise and stuff!!! I'm still afraid about thing haha!!

rach.sxo

Wolverhampton
No problem!!! When I had my first tortoise, I was always stressed and afraid that something that happens will kill my tortoise and stuff!!! I'm still afraid about thing haha!!
I know it's terrible, I spent so much money and I love him so much I'm scared of doing something wrong and hurting/killing him.
I'm still confused on certain things but finding my way around it all gradually haha. It's terrible