How long can young Indian Stars share the same outdoor enclosure (if at all)

iddypiper

Location (City and/or State)
southeast asia
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the info & guides, especially Tom & Mark.
I'm fairly clear that almost all tortoises should not share territory unless it's a big plot, but I see a lot of baby stars being raised in the same enclosure and would like to clarify my options before I get my torts. So:
  1. Up till what age/length can juvenile star tortoises be housed together before they get stressed by the usual factors? The star torts I'm able to get will likely be between 2.5-3", which means juveniles of a few months I'm guessing?
  2. Groups of 3+ such juveniles are preferable to pairs, yes? Even if given a large-ish outdoor enclosure (of around 4x3 ft)?
  3. At what age/size can star torts begin free roaming a yard / garden, if at all? My garden area is free of predators (no birds or prey, raccoons, dogs & cats don't enter my property as far as I can tell. Also, I live in a part of asia that's almost always hot-warm & humid. Asking because if the stars can be given full-ish access to my outdoor areas when they grow into adults, I have more reason to feel confident that having more than 1 star would not lead to stress. My impression from this forum, however, is that even when housed outdoors they should still have a walled-off enclosure, with a lid if necessary (although stars are not climbers yes?)
Thanks in advance forum folk for any advice you're willing to give. Trying to ensure I get things set up right & think everything through way before I even get my tort!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all the info & guides, especially Tom & Mark.
I'm fairly clear that almost all tortoises should not share territory unless it's a big plot, but I see a lot of baby stars being raised in the same enclosure and would like to clarify my options before I get my torts. So:
  1. Up till what age/length can juvenile star tortoises be housed together before they get stressed by the usual factors? The star torts I'm able to get will likely be between 2.5-3", which means juveniles of a few months I'm guessing?
  2. Groups of 3+ such juveniles are preferable to pairs, yes? Even if given a large-ish outdoor enclosure (of around 4x3 ft)?
  3. At what age/size can star torts begin free roaming a yard / garden, if at all? My garden area is free of predators (no birds or prey, raccoons, dogs & cats don't enter my property as far as I can tell. Also, I live in a part of asia that's almost always hot-warm & humid. Asking because if the stars can be given full-ish access to my outdoor areas when they grow into adults, I have more reason to feel confident that having more than 1 star would not lead to stress. My impression from this forum, however, is that even when housed outdoors they should still have a walled-off enclosure, with a lid if necessary (although stars are not climbers yes?)
Thanks in advance forum folk for any advice you're willing to give. Trying to ensure I get things set up right & think everything through way before I even get my tort!
Hello and welcome!

1. Stars are one of the few species that can be housed together in mixed groups of males and females as babies or adults. 3 or more is correct, and they can share a large indoor or outdoor enclosure. As they grow and you are able to identify the sexes, I recommend separating males from females until the females are large enough to breed. If left together, the males mature faster and will breed a female that might too small to pass her eggs, which could result in egg binding and death. Once the females reach that minimum breeding size, they can all live together.

2. Singles are fine. Groups are best if you want to breed eventually. Never pairs.

3. They should never fee roam anywhere. Make a large enclosure for them. The enclosure could be most of the back yard, but do have walls and containment and do keep other pets and animals out of the tortoise area.

iddypiper

southeast asia
3. They should never fee roam anywhere. Make a large enclosure for them. The enclosure could be most of the back yard, but do have walls and containment and do keep other pets and animals out of the tortoise area.
thanks for the welcome and the reply - i know the info is more or less out there in these forums but wanted to be sure with respect to my context.

another small clarification - i have the option of getting a burmese star, and while more expensive, that's what I might go for if Im getting only the one tort.

I assume the answer to #3 remains the same for the burmese star yes?

edit: this was more or less answered in the Burmese Star intro thread, but i'll leave this post in case anyone has a different answer.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks for the welcome and the reply - i know the info is more or less out there in these forums but wanted to be sure with respect to my context.

another small clarification - i have the option of getting a burmese star, and while more expensive, that's what I might go for if Im getting only the one tort.

I assume the answer to #3 remains the same for the burmese star yes?

edit: this was more or less answered in the Burmese Star intro thread, but i'll leave this post in case anyone has a different answer.
Same answer for all three for platynota. Its certainly a matter of opinion, but I like the platynota better than the elegans because of their outgoing personalities and hardiness.