How long did the tortoise survive in the freezer?

Bethanrs

Location (City and/or State)
Wales uk
I’ve today found out that my elderly nan has mistakenly hibernated her tortoise in the freezer instead of the fridge. She’s very upset and mad at herself but her age is against her at the moment and She’s made a mistake.

He’s been in there since October now, I’m going over later to get him out (she can’t bare to do it) I’m expecting to find him dead but I’m wondering how long he would’ve survived in there? Maybe if she’d realised sooner? Poor thing

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm afraid that since the water in the tissues is frozen there is nothing you can do. Brumating species can tolerate very mild freezing damage, but that's not the case.

You can try to gradually warm him up (put him in a fridge with some frozen water bottles), then to the room temperatures and the bowl with a shallow water (gradually raising water temperature to 33C). However, I'm almost sure he is dead. I'm sorry.

P.S. - I now see he was in the freezer since October. There are no chances.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow, how very sad.
I think you should try to slowly warm him up, just to see, incase your nan has any doubts.
I'm sure he is dead, but miracles can happen and maybe the freezer temps aren't what they are suppose to be.
Anyway, I think she may need to the proof that he did die, instead of always wondering, what if.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really doubt there's any hope he's still alive. One of the first things "they" tell you when hibernating your turtles and tortoises outside is they need to be down below the frost line. I took in a box turtle whose eyes had frozen. He was blind, with a white covering over his eyeballs. After three or four years his eyes gradually came back to normal. But I really doubt a whole frozen body would be able to survive.