How long do you leave fresh food out

Jedispice

Location (City and/or State)
EVERETT, WA
Hi there! Curious how long you guys leave food out for your Yellows before "freshening" it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I put the amount I want him to eat on the feeding tile in the a.m. and leave it there all day. It's quite ok if it dries out. It's still edible. The next morning I clean off the tile and put out fresh food.

Jedispice

EVERETT, WA
I put the amount I want him to eat on the feeding tile in the a.m. and leave it there all day. It's quite ok if it dries out. It's still edible. The next morning I clean off the tile and put out fresh food.
Nice. That's what I do as well. Rocketman gets a little picky too, so I feel like if I leave his greens out all day he can much on those when he's feeling snacky! He picks off any little amount of protein or fruit first.

tonyagarrison

Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the tips. I've only had my redfoot torts since the end of September. I've been putting the fresh food out in the morning and then picking up in the evening when I turn the lights off. I wasn't sure if I could leave it out until the next morning.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for the tips. I've only had my redfoot torts since the end of September. I've been putting the fresh food out in the morning and then picking up in the evening when I turn the lights off. I wasn't sure if I could leave it out until the next morning.
I think this also depends on your setup, and what else might be able to get at the food at night when your tort is sleeping. Like ants, rats...! I try to pick up any uneaten food in the evening before my tortoise goes to sleep.