How long to leave 6 months old outdoor?

Natasha

5 Year Member
Hello.

I am near Sacramento, CA and it is getting into 90's now, and I am thinking to start living my tortoise outside for some time during day only. I am more worried about getting into lower temperatures, because he seems to get sick every time temps (air) in closed chambers go below 87. humidity 50 to 75% , depending on when i make it wet. Do other people experience this?
I read bunch of threads about not living a hatchling under 6 inches outside for longer than 2 hours. Is it for a fear of overheating, or any other reasons? Mine is about 3 inches, he is approximately 6-7 months old.

Thank you in advance!

Natasha

5 Year Member
Sorry, misspelled. Leaving the baby outside is what i meant :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A baby can get into all kinds of trouble in a very short period...And then there's the fact that they can easily escape, too.
Start out by only having him out when you can sit there with him and try to identify any potential problems and then you can gradually leave him for a little longer.
Do you have an outdoors enclosure? (Don't put him outside in an aquarium.)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I will leave my babies outside for several hours, depending on weather conditions. They need a place to get out of direct sunlight. Make sure they are safe in whatever enclosure you are using. Animals have been known to take them, as well as them digging out. I think several good doses of sunlight are the best thing for babies and the exercise outside is great also. That usually wears my little guys out and they sleep great.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Like Greg said, plenty of shade and a good hide are key factors as to how long you can leave them out. Babies dehydrate so quick!

I take my babies out all the time but don't let them stay out all day until they're in the 12-18 month range. That's just me though, I'm sure there's others who leave them out earlier with no issues.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would say a few hours. Do a 5-10 minute soak before and after outside time until the baby gets used to the outside area and then I would go to just one soak.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430446686.584286.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
They dry out when outside so I would soak immediately after coming in. Soaking usually relaxes them and makes them hungry so maybe that's why before was suggested also

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Why to soak before, what is the reasoning behind it?. Why not soak at usual time? Thank you
It assures that dehydration won't happen if your tortoise does excessive walking and roaming in the sun. Once they are familiar with the territory they will develop somewhat of a routine and do less aimless walking, thus burning off less energy.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to hydration