How long to leave the humidifier on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I am so new to this artificial humidity thing.... I have it hooked up to a timer that works at half hour increments. I was thinking of having it set to run for a half an hour, then turned off for a half an hour, etc. Should I have it on and/or off for longer time increments?

When it's on, it takes about 10 minutes to get the humidity where I want it to be.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I have the same timer. It all depends on what humidity you live in. you live in Nebraska so it differs a lot. I'd say just monitor it all day one day and just go of of that. I like leaving it on throughout the night to mimic their natural environment more, but I would keep up with the mistings also.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
How long does it takes for the humidity to drop again? It is nice when you can get a humidifier that you can set to the level you want and leave it alone.

Without that feature, you will probably have to just guess, and adjust as needed.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
The humidifier does have a dial to change the level but I just got it today and had to work soon after so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch it too closely.

And as far as leaving it on all the time... part of the deal I made with my mother to not have to start paying half the electric bill was that the humidifier wasn't going to be going all day -_- (obviously she doesn't know too much about reptiles considering she never complains when I add a new 100W light bulb but is offended when I add a humidifier)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Okay so now I'm having problems with the humidifier... it will run for about ten minutes and then just stop putting out steam. It has to have something to di with the tube I attached to it because all I do is move the tube around a little bit and then it starts going again... any ideas as to what may be going on?

socialworker81

5 Year Member
With my humidifier, it was difficult to find the proper size tubing. The humidifier also has one small spout where the vapor comes out of. I sometimes knock it out of place when refilling. I just adjust the nozzle where the tube is to keep the vapor flowing.

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
also check to see if water has built up in the hose. I have one that sometime stop putting out steam because the ribbed hose actually clogs with water. Another possibility is that the water is too 'hard' and the components are starting to fail. Make sure you are using filtered water.

Good luck!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Thanks everyone! I think I need to find different tubing, it does have the ribbing and a whole bunch of water comes out when I shake it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.