How many "daylight" hours do you provide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
IMAG0993.jpgKinda worried. Baby Cosgrove (1 year old hermanns) has been extremely inactive these past few weeks. I read on another thread that winding down of activity during the winter can be offset by increasing the hours of "daylight". He currently has his lights on for 12 hours....how many hours does everyone else provide? Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
I provide thirteen hours of daylight. I'd read that 12-14 hours was acceptable.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My lights for my reptiles are on from 6:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. So 14 hours. No one is slowing down for the winter.

ashers

5 Year Member
Kansas
Thanks for your responses. I will up it to 14 hrs.

Over the last few days I've seen several posts about animals sleeping days on end - not necessarily hibernating -but an overall slowdown as winter sets in. I didn't have a tortoise last winter so didn't know if this was normal or not.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I have the lights on 7:30am to 7:30 pm...in the summer that is elongated by natural light (I don't change the time though), so MIN 12 hours.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Emrys has his lights on for 14 hours. In winter he tends to be a little slower to wake up once the light's gone on, but once he's up he's active. In summer, he's often already waking up by the time the lights go on since the sun gets up a little before I do!

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
RE: How many "daylight" hours do you provide?

I've been on the 7:30 to 10 schedule for almost a year. Sheldon and I have a schedule almost to a tee. My alarm goes off for 645, by the time I wake, get ready for work his light kicks on and his head is just poking it of his hide. Habitual is key ive heard...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
14-15 hours a day is ideal for normal activity. Less duration (below 12) along with less intensity may cause your tortoise to believe that it's "weather" is turning to fall and winter causing it to slow down and reduce food consumption to begin to prepare for brumation.

Status
Not open for further replies.