How often do you feed?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi, just wondering how often you guys feed your Hermanns? Ive read so many different things I get so confused. Currently she seems constantly hungry, and bangs her dish around to get me to feed her. Also she used to love her soaks when I first got her but now she just wants to climb out after a few minutes

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Daily. If the foraging is good & I find good things on my afternoon walk, she gets a second feeding.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Thanks for the response, ive read that she should be fed every other day (care sheet from vet) once a day once every 2 days etc, it's hard to tell what is right! ...At the moment as soon as she warms up when her lights go on in the morning she's ready for a good feed and eats a huge pile of leaves. Then approx 3 pm she's ready for more then has another feed before lights out.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
That's a huge reduction from when I first got her, she was so hungry and thirsty that first week it was painful to see. She seems to be more settled, I just worry I might over do it and make her fat. Is it even possible to make a tortoise fat?

phebe121

As long as she gets exercised i wouldnt worrie about how nuch u feed her i have.leopards they have food all day long and live.plants to snack on i keep a water dish in with mine

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a huge reduction from when I first got her, she was so hungry and thirsty that first week it was painful to see. She seems to be more settled, I just worry I might over do it and make her fat. Is it even possible to make a tortoise fat?

It is possible, however, with proper diet and proper size enclosure, it doesn't happen. Always provide water and most vets don't have a clue on the care and diet of a tortoise. Even "reptile" vets don't.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If she's hungry, she's hungry. Feed her. Mine prefer two smaller meals to one big one. They would graze in the wild, not have a big meal.

I think the general thinking is that it's okay to miss a meal by accident or if you are away for the weekend, but otherwise feed daily. She should feel heavy for her size. It's possible to get fat but not likely on a proper diet. Deal with it if it happens, don't try to prevent it.

Dogs and cats need to have their intake controlled. Not tortoises.