How often to feed a Tortoise?

CoreyOros

Location (City and/or State)
Girard, Ohio
I have a 2+ year old rescued Hermanns Tortoise that is in great shape. I was wondering how often most of you feed your tortoises. I’ve been told, since they are natural weed and grass grazers,they should be fed everyday. Tortoises grow at a slow rate, and since weeds have little nutritional value. That makes sense. But I also have been told, since I do not have a steady supply of weeds and grasses, and I do use organically grown leafy lettuces mixed with mazuri pellets. I should feed them 3-4 times a week, since what I feed them contains more vitamins for human consumption, which can cause faster growth spurts and possible pyramiding. Any thoughts? Would love some more information!

daniellenc

Maryland
Tortoises need to be fed daily always. Also weeds are exceptionally healthy and should be fed over grocery store greens. And pyramiding is caused by dry conditions not food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed once a day, enough food so there's still a little bit left at the end of the day. They keep going back to the food dish throughout the day.

CoreyOros

Girard, Ohio
Thank you! He gets his dandelion, clover, hibiscus etc etc. here and there when it’s growing! But weve been in such a drought here. Ive actually been in contact with a reptile expert. Which he has 30+tortoises, and he mentioned since there is no 100 percent evidence what causes pyramiding, he believes that over feeding grocery bought greens, just like drier conditions, can cause pyramiding. Due to a higher consumption of vitamins which can cause faster growth spurts and quicker shell growth! Only if we knew 100 percent! Lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you! He gets his dandelion, clover, hibiscus etc etc. here and there when it’s growing! But weve been in such a drought here. Ive actually been in contact with a reptile expert. Which he has 30+tortoises, and he mentioned since there is no 100 percent evidence what causes pyramiding, he believes that over feeding grocery bought greens, just like drier conditions, can cause pyramiding. Due to a higher consumption of vitamins which can cause faster growth spurts and quicker shell growth! Only if we knew 100 percent! Lol

Actually, there have been multiple studies done, and through the experiments of everyone on this forum, it became clear that the only thing that causes pyramiding is lack of humidity. Here’s an interesting study :)
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Turtles-Tortoises/Turtle-Care/Pyramiding-in-Tortoises/

And here’s a cool experiment-The End Of Pyramiding
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/The-End-Of-Pyramiding.15137/

I would say that we do know 100%. All the evidence points to it, anyway.

I think your reptile expert would enjoy the forum! We might be able to learn from him, and he might be able to learn from us. Maybe you could ask him to join?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I feed my tortoises breakfast every morning before I go to work. They are even on a schedule and wake up to greet me, patiently waiting for their plates at 5am when their timed lights turn on. Since I work, I leave their plates for them all day and collect and clean up when I get home.

And on days I don't work - I still get up at 5am to feed them so I maintain the routine. Talk about spoiled torts!

They get a wide variety during the week, consisting of weeds, grasses, dark leafy greens, Mazuri, spineless prickly pear cactus pads and cactus fruit, and flowers. Twice a week I sprinkle "TNT" (Total Nutrition for Tortoises, available at Carolina Pet Supply online) as their calcium/multi nutrient supplement.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Feed every day, first thing in the morning. If you want a lie, put the food out before you go to bed and put the lights on a timer (timers are wonderful). The food may go a little limp overnight, but your tort won't care.

Stick to weedy and leafy greens. Look up the greens you can buy and those that grow around you on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability; there are more than you think!
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Some people stick rigidly to organic produce, but we can't all afford that. Make sure plants you pick outside are free of pesticides and fertilizers. Anything bought that is OK on the Tortoise Table and is raised for human consumption can be fed to your tort.

Many of us supplement with mazuri (soak in water) in the winter months. You don't have to feed that every day, but do feed the greens daily

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The findings about what exactly causes pyramiding are pretty recent and the principal pioneers in this research are here in this forum.
Its common for breeders and long time tortoise keepers to be hanging on to old and out dated information.
As for feeding. I feed every day and at the same time every day.