Feed too often, cause pyramiding?

jadereihen

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson AZ
Hi all!
I searched and found a couple of feeding threads, but none specifically with my concern. I've read feed tortoises every other day because otherwise they will grow "too quickly" and cause pyramiding. So I've been feeding my 9 month old every other day but he is ALWAYS hungry.

Relatedly, pyramiding was a big concern with my sulcatas, is it not as much a concern with Hermanns since they don't get nearly as big?

Thanks for thoughts!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hi all!
I searched and found a couple of feeding threads, but none specifically with my concern. I've read feed tortoises every other day because otherwise they will grow "too quickly" and cause pyramiding. So I've been feeding my 9 month old every other day but he is ALWAYS hungry.

Relatedly, pyramiding was a big concern with my sulcatas, is it not as much a concern with Hermanns since they don't get nearly as big?

Thanks for thoughts!
Hi! Pyramiding is caused by being kept too dry. You should feed your tortoise everyday. Someone else can jump in with info on raising a Hermanns. I don’t have that kind.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hi all!

Thanks for thoughts!
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Give this a read. It answers your pyramiding question and gives great care instructions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you look outside this forum your going to find all the incorrect info you want. Search this forum and you will get the correct info many times over.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! It seems that you got some very outdated info somewhere. Pyramiding is caused completely by lack of humidity, and Diet has no effect at all. Your tortoise should have food available at all times :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all!

Thanks for thoughts!

Diet, exercise, hydration all play a part in the formation of a healthy shell. Feeding every day is not going to "cause" pyramiding but poor food offerings can play a roll in the healthy growth of any living creature, tortoise shell included.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Not by food.

Overhead desiccating basking lamps can contribute to this excessive dryness. Increased humidity, soaking, humid hides, and closed chambers with low wattage basking bulbs, all help to reduce the effects.