How many turtles per 100 tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
Hello,

I was recently at a reptile show and I was told I could keep more than just two turtles in my 100 gallon tank? I doubt I'll get another, but hearing that made me think if the situation presented itself I could take on another. I currently have a red belly cooter and a yellow belly cooter in my 100 gallon. They're both about 9 inches or so. Is there really room for more? I'm not really planning to add more as I know my girls are happy but I am curious. You never know when a turtle will come available. I found both of these girls by chance.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No, I would not do it. You have two that are getting on right now, I would not mess that up by decreasing their space by adding another...now, of course you could start a whole new set up and acquire more..:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should think that two 9" turtles is plenty enough for one 100 gallon tank.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I wouldn't , but I'm on the compulsive side. I have one peninsula hatchling in a 50gallon. Since I'm new to the Pseudemys, any insights as to feeding or general care you have would be appreciated

Also I thnk females get 12-14"

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Ok. Yeah that's what I was thinking. They're both happy, why risk something going wrong with a new addition. Maybe one day I'll have another tank, just don't have the room right now lol. I would love to get a Mississippi map one day.

zenoandthetortoise said:
I wouldn't , but I'm on the compulsive side. I have one peninsula hatchling in a 50gallon. Since I'm new to the Pseudemys, any insights as to feeding or general care you have would be appreciated

Also I thnk females get 12-14"

When my red belly was a hatchling I was completely new to any type of water turtle. She was so small I didn't know what to feed her. I started out with blood worms (mosquito larvae). As she grew I added guppies and earth worms. Now mine both eat mostly Reptomin sticks and won't touch anything else but do enjoy some earth worms once a month or so. I also get them cuttlebones for calcium. They love chewing them up. Good luck with your hatchling.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
10 gallons per inch minimum is the general thumb, so you're already short if they are 9" each.
I definitely wouldn't add any more.

general RULE of thumb*

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
I think the guy at the reptile show was just wanting me to buy his turtles so told me whatever. lol Glad I didn't listen

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
cooky_luvs said:
I think the guy at the reptile show was just wanting me to buy his turtles so told me whatever. lol Glad I didn't listen

That's quite possible. Some of them don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.