How many will hatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
So i have 17 sully eggs and just want your thought of how many of them will hatch? This is Lucys first clutch as for what i know. I do know the first clutch has a low fertility rate, Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to tell. If you can find someone whose good at candling (I'm terrible), sometimes they can tell. I had 0% my first year and 43% my second year. Third year is now and I won't know until May for the first batch and June for the second. I think I am on the pretty low end. I have heard of people having 100% the first time and every time. Anything is possible, but that SEEMS like a little exaggeration to me.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
All of my Sullies first clutches had either a 100% hatch rate or all but one or two hatched. However, I have read through research and speaking with others that first clutches are low in fertility. Congrats and enjoy the process! Please keep us informed and let us know if you have additional questions. Are you incubating them yourself or keeping them in the ground?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since I like the number 13, that's my guess! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortieLuver said:
All of my Sullies first clutches had either a 100% hatch rate or all but one or two hatched. However, I have read through research and speaking with others that first clutches are low in fertility. Congrats and enjoy the process! Please keep us informed and let us know if you have additional questions. Are you incubating them yourself or keeping them in the ground?

See what I mean. If you take good care of them, feed and hydrate them right and live in AZ, the magical sulcata land, you get 100% every time.:D

I bet they do better in AZ than they do in Africa for goodness sake. I guess Christy being such a good keeper MIGHT have something to do with it too...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.