How Much Calcium Is Really Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paludarium

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Taiwan
Madkins007 said:
Contrary to popular belief, the healthy ratio for a tortoise is the same as it is for any reptile, and even humans- about 1.5:1, but even 1:1 isn't horrible, even over time. Nothing wrong with 2:1, or even the occasional burst of 15:1- but over the course of a month or season, we should aim for about 1.5:1.
Very interesting. While many tortoises experts declared that the calcium/phosphorus ratio had to be at least 4:1, some thought that the ratios were obtained from other animals instead of tortoises or turtles, and the recommended Ca/P ratios were merely empiric. Actually I did not find any study of tortoises that could support the popular belief that we have to keep at the high Ca/P ratio. However, it is hard to break the myth.

The formation of calcium oxalate is probably another issue, because the diets of tortoises consist of many plants with high oxalate levels.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The source of my calcium ratio is Dr. Mader and Dr. Susan Donoghue, from the book Reptile Medicine and Surgery and other articles by one or the other.

Calcium oxalate (as in bladder stones) is indeed another issue. Articles by the above authors seem to suggest that there is not a simple answer to bladder stones- not JUST calcium, oxalates, stress, or dehydration, although there does seem to be a relationship between these elements.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
So as an update to this. I stopped putting calcium on my Leopard's food (Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, and Collard Greens, along with ZooMed Grassland Pellets). Well I started seeing something occur that I had never seen before. His cuttlebones began to move. He previously never sought out or touched these but I have now seen him chewing on them and carrying them across his enclosure. I guess he knows what he needs better than I do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ianedward1 said:
So as an update to this. I stopped putting calcium on my Leopard's food (Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, and Collard Greens, along with ZooMed Grassland Pellets). Well I started seeing something occur that I had never seen before. His cuttlebones began to move. He previously never sought out or touched these but I have now seen him chewing on them and carrying them across his enclosure. I guess he knows what he needs better than I do

Very telling. According to some people, if your diet is full of calcium rich foods, no additional calcium should be necessary. Apparently, your tortoise disagrees. As do mine.

For all of our human arguing, postulating, and pontificating, sometimes we just need to learn to watch the tortoises. If we pay attention, they will often give us the answers we seek.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I pretty much don't add calcium at all. My tortoise spends most of the (warm summer) days outside grazing and eats very little prepared food. Every once in a while he'll chomp a few chunks of cuttlebone. He is a rock eater though. Don't know if that really means anything. Some say miner-all helps stop the rock eating, some say it doesn't. I'm not sure if that is from a mineral deficiency or what but if he finds a shiny white pebble it's goin' down. During the winter he's getting spring mix mostly, some mazuri and we just started on cactus pads and red sticks. I don't really see any change in his cuttlebone eating. Just very rarely, like several months in between, he'll start eating a bit of it. He's never had trouble with a soft shell or anything. I just leave it up to him.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wild tortoises will also eat calcium-rich soil and gnaw bones, and they seek out high-calcium plants even when tastier options are readily available. The role of 'cravings' in a healthy, balanced diet is really interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.