Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Hey.

As im a new tortoise owner , I have yet another question..

I was at a local herp shop n' they reccomended a 2 in 1 calcium/vitamin poweder to use 2 - 3 times a week for my young Sulcata.

Its T-Rex brand Herbivorous Reptile Formula, 2:1 Calcium/Phosphorus with vitamins.

It reads "Guaranteed Analysis per 60g :
Calcium (max) 32.4%
Calcium (min) 27.0%
Phosphorus (min) 16.5%
Vitamin A 21,600IU
Vitamin D3 2,160IU
Vitamin C 141 mg.

Is this a well rounded calcium/vitamin suppliment to be adding?

I also have a Cuttlefish Bone ( calcium bone ) placed in his enclosure , as a friend who owns a Russian Tortoise reccomended it as they can pick off as much calcium as they want when they feel the need for it...

is this sufficient?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
If you have a uvb light set up or your tort spends time outside you don't want D3

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
is that true, robyn? Vitamin D3 can be replaced by sunlight or a UVB? i've been using a Ca powder with D3 in addition to my 10.0 UVB bulb

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
I understand that UVB provides D3, and natural sunlight is a stronger source of this...

I have one 10.0 uvb light,

is there such a thing as too much D3 ?

I have not supplimented my toroise yet as i just got him today...

but I do not want to under nourish him ( or over nourish him for that matter )

I wouldnt think that a single 10.0 uvb bulb would be sufficient for a growing tortoise... perhapse once the warmer months come and I have him out in the sun for an hour or more a day that it would become less needed...

any confirmation on this?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can over do it with D3. Inside though with a still growing tortoise I would still use a vitamin supplement with D3 and the T-Rex one you mentioned is basicly the same as the one I use.
If you can get him outside at least 5 days a week, I would use a supplement than without D3
UVB lights help but can never replace sunlight for producing D3.

Danny

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know I'm new to the forum, but I think those suppliments should still be provided: The UVB bulb and the D3 dustings of the food. The UVB bulbs will never match the quality of the natural sun, so that is already lacking in effectiveness. By giving additional D3 and C suppliments, this will give the tortoise a better amount of vitamins to grow on.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Thankyou, that is what i presumed.

Seeing as its still wintery here ( 3 ft of snow on the ground and just barely above the freezing mark ) I cannot get him outside for the natural light yet.

couple more months still.

will lower the d3 supplimenting once I get him into a regular outside schedule.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I supplement my hatchlings (& yearling Leo) with calcium w/ D3 daily, but my sub-adults & adults just get the supplement once a week.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Exact same situation here in Cleveland :) Waaaay too cold to let them outside or even open up the window to let some natural sunshine in. I think hatchlings need supplementing more than adults, though I could be wrong.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sorry guys I forget we are all from differednt parts of the world. Here (CA) it is nice most days and I can get my torts out 5 to 7 days a week. Even winter allows them a day or two a week usually, for at least a couple of hours.

My Hatchling and those under one year I dust with Calcium and vits daily, as per Danny's suggestions

My large DT I usually dust 2-3 times a week.

So Danny with my little Sulcata you would suggest a Dusting, more than 2-3 times a week? She is 4-5 inches now.
I use calcium carbonate no D-3
But I do use the T-Rex Tortoise Dust Veggie Formula which does have some D-3 and Phos. in it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes I would supplement at every feeding for a sulcata until they were at least half of their average size. :D

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use two types of calcium and rotate them, I use one w/ D3 and one w/o D3 that way they don't get to much. Of course mine go out almost everyday now that it is warming up. I also use two types of multivitamins and rotate them as well. I don't know if that helps any.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
egyptiandan said:
Yes I would supplement at every feeding for a sulcata until they were at least half of their average size. :D

Danny

Thanks Danny, will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.