How much cuttlebone powder for baby sulcata

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi so I recently adopted a baby sulcata who was around 6 months old (so i've been told by the breeder) and he/she is around 5.8cm from the plastron and around 58grams before feeding and approx 61 to 62grams after feeding. So I have seen through a few forums saying that sulcata babies shouldn't be overfed using cuttlebone powder so I want to ask how many grams should i give the lil guy? Because I am worried of overfeeding calcium and bladder stones however I am also worried about MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) if someone encounters this forum pls reply as soon as possible thank you

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Hi so I recently adopted a baby sulcata who was around 6 months old (so i've been told by the breeder) and he/she is around 5.8cm from the plastron and around 58grams before feeding and approx 61 to 62grams after feeding. So I have seen through a few forums saying that sulcata babies shouldn't be overfed using cuttlebone powder so I want to ask how many grams should i give the lil guy? Because I am worried of overfeeding calcium and bladder stones however I am also worried about MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) if someone encounters this forum pls reply as soon as possible thank you
Welcome. You can leave the cuttlebone in there at all times and i just put a pinch of repti cal twice aweek on his food.

Justincl

Jakarta
Welcome. You can leave the cuttlebone in there at all times and i just put a pinch of repti cal twice aweek on his food.
Is there a possiblity that his/her beak will become uneven? Because I am rather scared as I hope that he/she lives a happy and long life. Sorry if i'm asking so much questions... i'm very worried

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Also a lot of info on other forums are all wrong. Stick to getting ur info from here and u cant go wrong. Good luck and heres a great care sheet from Tom

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Is there a possiblity that his/her beak will become uneven? Because I am rather scared as I hope that he/she lives a happy and long life. Sorry if i'm asking so much questions... i'm very worried
Questions are good. His beak will be fine.. feed him on a piece of slate or terra cotta saucer

Justincl

Jakarta
Questions are good. His beak will be fine.. feed him on a piece of slate or terra cotta saucer
For now i do use 2 slates 1 for feeding and 1 for basking and I'm living in Indonesia however is it safe to use the uva bulb at night as well? Because the temps here are 26 degrees celcius at lowest but I am scared that he/she would get flu again like when i first got him/her home and not to mention that its the rainy season now here

Justincl

Jakarta
Also I do feed him/her with grinded cuttlebone around 3 days a week (Monday wednesay friday) and vitamin supplement on sunday however im worried that im giving calcium too less as his top plastron has become hard however the middle and bottom part are still kind of soft

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Read through that thread i posted for you.. there should be no lights on at night. You can use a CHE on a thermostat for night heat. Ur temps should never drop below 80f. If ur using a Mercury vapor bulb for uvb u should get rid of it and get a long tube style.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Also I do feed him/her with grinded cuttlebone around 3 days a week (Monday wednesay friday) and vitamin supplement on sunday however im worried that im giving calcium too less as his top plastron has become hard however the middle and bottom part are still kind of soft
A babies plastron will be a bit spongy its normal.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
If you can post some pics of your enclosure we can give u better advice. If you follow that care sheet ur baby will thrive and be happy.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
In your personal experience how long do baby sulcatas take on average to harden their plastron?
It should be pretty solid by a year old. But even then can be a lil give if pushed hard enough. As long as its just a lil give u have no worries

Justincl

Jakarta
It should be pretty solid by a year old. But even then can be a lil give if pushed hard enough. As long as its just a lil give u have no worries
This is my temporary enclosure for now since he/she is still small but I am planning on getting a bigger container if he/she gets bigger I just placed the cuttlebone inside but when I am feeding him/her is a pinch of cuttlebone powder on the food good? Or is there a certain gram of calcium i should be aware of

Attachments

• 1603035357940910102013565533982.jpg
    1603035357940910102013565533982.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
This is my temporary enclosure for now since he/she is still small but I am planning on getting a bigger container if he/she gets bigger I just placed the cuttlebone inside but when I am feeding him/her is a pinch of cuttlebone powder on the food good? Or is there a certain gram of calcium i should be aware of
1. You need substrate in there.. orchid bark or cypress mulch.
2. That water bowl is a drowning hazzard.. they can flip onto there backs trying to climb in and out. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk level with the substrate.
3. I would get rid of that enclosure and get something with higher sides so that u can close the top and hang ur lights inside.. ur humidity should be 80%+ and thats impossible with an open top and no substrate
Are u soaking him in warm water everyday?

Justincl

Jakarta
Also 1 more final question sorry to bother if a tortoise extends its head to the ground when its sleeping does it mean that it feels safe?

Justincl

Jakarta
Ye
1. You need substrate in there.. orchid bark or cypress mulch.
2. That water bowl is a drowning hazzard.. they can flip onto there backs trying to climb in and out. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk level with the substrate.
3. I would get rid of that enclosure and get something with higher sides so that u can close the top and hang ur lights inside.. ur humidity should be 80%+ and thats impossible with an open top and no substrate
Are u soaking him in warm water everyday?
Yes twice a day and the waterdish isnt deep its around 0.5cm and he/she actually trained himself/herself how to get in and out and the reason i dont use subtsrate is because the breeder didnt use substrate and i actually am worried that the substrate would get eaten and cause impaction and on average the humidity here is pretty much reaching 80 percent because indonesia is a tropical country and i use tissue on top of the hiding pot to make it humid and at times he/she would take a nap there

Justincl

Jakarta
Not to mention it is actually hard to obtain most resources from abroad here as moat breeders here use coco husk and I dont use substrate because i am afraid of the enclosure being unclean and i cant see if he/she peed or pooped already and i do wash and use disinfectant on the pvc carpet every week or 2

Justincl

Jakarta
However i do plan on getting another water dish but I am going to fill it with either coco husk or plantation soil from exoterra when he/she gets bigger as he/she gets more used to it and is less vulnerable to infections and sicknesses and i will be planning on upgrading the enclosure

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Ye

Yes twice a day and the waterdish isnt deep its around 0.5cm and he/she actually trained himself/herself how to get in and out and the reason i dont use subtsrate is because the breeder didnt use substrate and i actually am worried that the substrate would get eaten and cause impaction and on average the humidity here is pretty much reaching 80 percent because indonesia is a tropical country and i use tissue on top of the hiding pot to make it humid and at times he/she would take a nap there
The water dish is not worth the risk.
90% of breeders start their babies the wrong way.

humidity might be 80% outside.. but inside a plastic container with drying heat lamps i can guarantee its not 80%.. get urself a hygrometer

Justincl

Jakarta
The water dish is not worth the risk.
90% of breeders start their babies the wrong way.

humidity might be 80% outside.. but inside a plastic container with drying heat lamps i can guarantee its not 80%.. get urself a hygrometer
Ok thx for the advice i'll upgrade everything and i am actually considering on getting a tortoise table when I have collected the funds I appreciate the advice thx so much