How much do hatchlings eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
I have a 4month old sulcata and wondering how often they eat and how many times you feed them? He doesn't like the food dish and likes to eat by his hideout but I can't leave it there since that's the basking area and the food dries quickly but he seems to eat dried grass that's left over and likes eating on the dirt =/ I don't want him eating on the dirt since it's a mixture of sand and coconut coir. The food dish is too big to place by his hideout and I leave his water and food by the cool end. I just got him yesterday and just worried about him and I keep checking him alot. How often do 4 month old sulcatas eat and do they eat at certain times or do they wait for food at certain times or do you leave food in the enclosure all day? Fresh food seems to spoil quickly...

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
They need to have food in there at all times. They usually won't eat very often but when they decide they want to eat there needs to be something available to them. Definitely keep the food away from the heat lamp despite what your tort prefers. Spraying the food and keeping the encloser hummid will help preserve the food a little. Keep the plate as well, feeding on substrate can only lead to bad things especially when sand is involved.
-Austin

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Arizona Sulcata said:
They need to have food in there at all times. They usually won't eat very often but when they decide they want to eat there needs to be something available to them. Definitely keep the food away from the heat lamp despite what your tort prefers. Spraying the food and keeping the encloser hummid will help preserve the food a little. Keep the plate as well, feeding on substrate can only lead to bad things especially when sand is involved.
-Austin

Thank you so much! I just got him yesterday and he's scared so that's why I put the food in front of his hide and I left it there 30-45 min and he finally ate but he won't eat anywhere else. He even dragged some food back to his hide and it looks dirty so I will have to take it out. Thank you...first time Tortoise owner. Also, I put his water bowl near his hide too so is this ok to keep near the basking area? He stays close to his hide and basking area.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Yes I keep my water by the hide and basking area as well. Good job! :) you learn as you go so no biggie! If you ever have any questions feel free to let me know!
-Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.