how much how often & what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenilyn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
ive heard different and I wondered what everyones opinions were.

I use a 2.5 clay pot saucer as a dinner plate. I was told by the place i got him to feed everyday a single layer of the mix i make that week. he is a russian, about the size of a softball cut in half. I also have the zoomed pellets i crumble ontop and sometimes offer them mushy as well as the greens mix.

this week I got collards, radishes, summer squash and a teenie bit of baby carrots. he also sometimes gets hens & chicks as a treat.

i just wondered what other veggies I can mix in there. :)

thanks for everything guys!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to ask are you feeding a russian hens and chicks?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know about RT, but I feed my Cherry head grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, dandelion leaves and flowers, curley endive, escarole, turnip greens and Spring mix when I have some.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I mostly give Nelson various greens including spring mix, curly endive, escarole, turnip greens, and the occasional mustard greens and collards.
I usually always have spring mix at my house and then I'll buy 1-2 heads of other greens for variety.
Now that weeds are starting to grow in my backyard I pick dandelion leaves, plantain, clover, and garlic mustard to give him a little more variety. He gets the rare raspberry leaf, hens & chicks, aloe, and kalanchoe. Grape leaves and mulberry leaves are awesome if you have access to them.
I don't feed him vegetables as often as other people do. He gets a sliver of carrot maybe once a month.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I start with about 50% spring mix (no spinach or red chard), 40% 1-2 other greens a week (I rotate through a list of about 12), and 10% healthy treats like Mazuri, Grassland, cactus pads, butternut squash, and pumpkin. I think you need to cut down on the oxalic acid because all the stuff you listed is high in it. As much of the chemical-free weeds and greens and flowers the better. I like the spring mix because it is low in oxalic acid and has about 10 different lettuces in it, when I rotate through different brands. The more you can grow yourself the better, but make sure no chemicals (if you buy a plant at a nursery you should wait 3-6 months to feed it). I don't feed any veggies or fruits except the pumpkin and butternut squash occasionally, only greens/weeds/lettuces. I wish I had access to organic edible flowers, but a could times a year I'll spend $6! at the store for a handful. My tort eats a pile of greens about the same size as him, and I put it on a slate tile to give him space to push it around, keep it away from the substrate, and wear down his nails & beak.

Status
Not open for further replies.