How much to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu, HI
Can someone please give me a definitive answer on how much my baby Sulcata tortoise should be eating daily? He is about 8 months old. I've read everything I can on WHAT to feed him (in which I have a lot of choices) and I understand the need for nutrition and variety, but how MUCH should he be eating? Should I just let him eat as much as he wants (which I understand can be never-ending) or should I limit his daily diet?

When he's eating he seems to eat like he's starving and simply gobbles everything down. I understand that may be natural, but it makes me want to keep feeding him. Can anyone out there give me a simple answer? Much appreciated!

Donatello eating.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I feed my greek a mound of greens as big as she is everyday. I think i read this was a good starting point to adjust from when I first purchased her. Although she is not a hatchling. Don't know if that changes things.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suggest free feeding. Always have a pile of GOOD food available. This should be heavy with real grass and weeds. Add in some grape or mulberry leaves for good measure, and throw in an occasional spineless opuntia pad.

The best method is to just put them outside and let them graze on their own all day long.

This is assuming your have the correct environmental conditions and good hydration. Are you simulating the African desert or are you simulating the African grasslands during the rainy season?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: How much to eat?

munchkin2983 said:
would this go for a horsefield tortoise too?
xxxx
Thanks in advance x

Horsfeld's are less keen on the grass, but free grazing on weeds is great for them too. When providing food aim for a pile of greens roughly the size of the shell. Sullys have big appetites as befits a big tort!

munchkin2983

5 Year Member
st helens
JoesMum said:
munchkin2983 said:
would this go for a horsefield tortoise too?
xxxx
Thanks in advance x

Horsfeld's are less keen on the grass, but free grazing on weeds is great for them too. When providing food aim for a pile of greens roughly the size of the shell. Sullys have big appetites as befits a big tort!

thank you very much
x

Status
Not open for further replies.